Does the iRig2 work as a headphone amp/mixer?

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Postby fleetwoodPC » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:21 pm

I DO hear music from the iPhone.
I don't hear the guitar mixing with the music through the headphones.
Nothing is plugged into the output 1/4 jack.

If the answer is no is there an iRig version that does?
fleetwoodPC

Re: Does the iRig2 work as a headphone amp/mixer?

Postby Ryan_IK » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:19 pm

Hello,

Thanks for your post!

It's a little unclear what you mean. It sounds like you may be having technical issues. If this is the case, please check with the IK Multimedia technical support team. They can be contacted at the link below. PM me your ticket number once created.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/

To clarify the iRig 2 take over on iOS as the input/output device. This means all output from your iOS device will be routed through the iRig 2. This includes iTunes, AmpliTube, or any other app. This should be for both the Headphone port or the 1/4" dedicated amplifier output (When set to FX as opposed to THRU).

Note* AmpliTube CS has a setting 'Background' audio. Make sure to enable this when accessing different apps. This is in the Menu -> Settings. This will help AmpliTube play in the background while using these apps.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby fleetwoodPC » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:26 pm

What's unclear please?

I did submit a ticket and heard nothing back which is why I posted in the forum.

"This means all output from your iOS device will be routed through the iRig 2."

Yes, and I can hear it.

I want to hear the guitar, that's plugged into the iRig input as well ... the iRig acting as a mixer of both the guitar and iOS output.
fleetwoodPC

Postby Ryan_IK » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:46 pm

fleetwoodPC wrote:What's unclear please?

I did submit a ticket and heard nothing back which is why I posted in the forum.

"This means all output from your iOS device will be routed through the iRig 2."

Yes, and I can hear it.

I want to hear the guitar, that's plugged into the iRig input as well ... the iRig acting as a mixer of both the guitar and iOS output.

The original question (Does the iRig2 work as a headphone amp/mixer?) was a bit unclear. How exactly do you plan on using the iRig 2?

If this is to playback music while also playing through AmpliTube this will certainly work. To clarify my confusion, the iRig 2 has a headphone amp inside of it. This is to allow for headphone use. This device can also be connected to a mixer, but I would not necessarily call the iRig 2 is a 'mixer'.

Can you PM me your ticket number if you have opened a ticket? I can bump the team on this ticket to see what they can do.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby fleetwoodPC » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:29 am

I'm sorry I'm being so confusing.

I want to hear the guitar and iOS (iTunes) together. That's it.

Together = mixer.

My guitar is plugged into the iRig.
My iPhone is plugged into the iRig and playing music.
Nothing plugged into the THRU.
Headphones plugged into the iRig.

I head the music.
I don't hear the guitar.

"To clarify the iRig 2 take over on iOS as the input/output device. This means all output from your iOS device will be routed through the iRig 2."

If nothing is plugged into the THRU then why doesn't the iRig2 also route the guitar to the headphones?

You ask me for a ticket number. I have none. I've not received any reply (and attempting to phone results in 'no' ... go on the web).
fleetwoodPC

Postby Ryan_IK » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:36 am

fleetwoodPC wrote:I'm sorry I'm being so confusing.

I want to hear the guitar and iOS (iTunes) together. That's it.

Together = mixer.

My guitar is plugged into the iRig.
My iPhone is plugged into the iRig and playing music.
Nothing plugged into the THRU.
Headphones plugged into the iRig.

I head the music.
I don't hear the guitar.

"To clarify the iRig 2 take over on iOS as the input/output device. This means all output from your iOS device will be routed through the iRig 2."

If nothing is plugged into the THRU then why doesn't the iRig2 also route the guitar to the headphones?

No need to apologize, I did just want to make sure I understood the question before sending a barrage of information.

Now, when you can, try launching AmpliTube CS from the Apple App Store. This is a free app. Once launched, go to the Menu -> Settings. Enable 'Background Audio' here. Once done, you can put AmpliTube in the background using your 'Home' button and access iTunes without loosing your audio from AmpliTube.

Note* Make sure to register your iRig 2 in the AmpliTube Menu -> Account page to unlock some bonus gear.

To clarify your second question. The 'THRU/FX' switch on the iRig 2 controls what signal plays back through the dedicated amplifier output. The headphones will always playback the 'FX' output. The 'FX' output will be your signal from AmpliTube or any iOS apps. This is the iOS output. The 'THRU' selection will send the 'Dry' (Unprocessed) signal from your guitar (or anything connected to the input of your iRig) straight 'THRU' to the 1/4" dedicated amplifier output bypassing your iOS device.

Hope this helps!
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby fleetwoodPC » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:09 am

Now we're talkin! ... works fantastic, with bass as well, using Fender Collection 2.

I'd like a loud clean sound (for guitar) but all the basic amps seems to be about gain and I think I'd need a Jazz Chorus or such.

However, it's still a fantastic value ... so much so that I can actually sell my AMPLIFI 30!

Thanks!
fleetwoodPC

Return to Interfaces & Controllers