Irig HD 2 as Windows Soundcard?

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Irig HD 2 as Windows Soundcard?

Postby timjweaver » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:46 am

I could not find anything on the net about this...I'm trying to play audio from the laptop ie youtube externally through my Irig HD 2. All Ican get is sound from my sound card's speakers. I set the default in Windows control panel sound as the Irig HD but sound still comes out of the speakers. Can this be used as an external sound card?
timjweaver

Re: Irig HD 2 as Windows Soundcard?

Postby jasongnsb0 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:20 pm

Here are my findings with this, which has been a point of frustration and disappointment. Apparently with Windows, only one application at a time may use the ASIO driver for the interface. This means the guitar audio from AmpliTube will come from the interface (headphones or speakers plugged in), but the other system audio will not. What this amounts to is you cannot have amplitube open (or other application using the interface) and have youtube or streaming music app running in the background and have all of the audio come out of the irig simultaneously. They've posted a workaround using programs called VBCable or Voicemeter that are supposed to allow you to customize the audio routing. The link is below. I had no luck with it after a lot of trying, but I admit I didn't contact the support team:

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/?id=1236

The other thing I found was that a "multi client asio driver" would have to be developed to allow audio from multiple apps to go out of the interface simlutaneously. Beyond this, the things I am kicking around are:

1. Use a mixer and route to it the cable from the irig as well as a cable from my laptop line out, and then on to a set of speakers (or use a set of speakers with an internal mixer)

2. Looking at the irig micro amp - need to know if the aux jack still works while the usb is simultaneously plugged in and using amplitube.

Not to ignite any mac vs windows flame wars, but the nice thing about the mac I had was that all audio came out of the interface, little to no messing around. This has placed some limits on how useful the irig HD2 is to me as a practice or learning tool. I can drop a track into a DAW and work with it that way, but following a youtube tutorial or other web based lesson service isn't going to work.
jasongnsb0

Re: Irig HD 2 as Windows Soundcard?

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:54 pm

Yes, that FAQ should work and I would contact support if it doesn't OP please try the steps in that FAQ at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/?id=1236 and you should be good to go.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Interfaces & Controllers