Stereo guitar input - Axe I/O

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Stereo guitar input - Axe I/O

Postby tormodg » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:51 am

I have connected the stereo outputs L/R from a Line 6 HX Stomp to 1/2 on the Axe I/O.

Is there a way to disable toe various settings for input 1? Like Z-tone, Active/passive, JFET/Pure. I am assuming that these are only available for Input 1? Or do they work the same for both inputs?

I guess my question is really "what is the right way to input a stereo guitar signal into Axe I/O". :D
tormodg

Re: Stereo guitar input - Axe I/O

Postby garfy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:58 am

Hi tormodg

Caveat - I haven't used either of the pieces of hardware you are referring to, this info is strictly from looking in the User Guides.

tormodg wrote:Z-tone, Active/passive, JFET/Pure. I am assuming that these are only available for Input 1?

The various input stages and circuit designs are only available on Input 1 on the front of the AXE I/O i.e. on the instrument input. They are not shared or routable to instrument Input 2.

tormodg wrote:I guess my question is really "what is the right way to input a stereo guitar signal into Axe I/O". :D

I would suggest that the correct way to set this up is to connect the L/R outputs from the Helix to the L/R line inputs on the back of the AXE I/O. You will also need to make sure that the Helix's output level is set to Line.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby tormodg » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:01 pm

garfy wrote:I would suggest that the correct way to set this up is to connect the L/R outputs from the Helix to the L/R line inputs on the back of the AXE I/O. You will also need to make sure that the Helix's output level is set to Line.

Hope that helps.

Thanks! That works perfectly well.
tormodg

Postby dlgebert » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:49 pm

garfy wrote:connect the L/R outputs from the Helix to the L/R line inputs on the back of the AXE I/O.

A couple of things to note, the Line Inputs on the AXE I/O are balanced only, so balanced cables would be needed. Shouldn't be an issue since the HX Stomp stereo outputs can be both balanced and unbalanced.

The other thing that I learned quite quickly when I got my AXE I/O is that only one input source (Instrument, XLR or Line) can be used at a time and it's hardware switchable. For example, if you have a guitar instrument cable connected to channel #1 in the front and an XLR mic cable connected in the back, and say, a permanent balanced line cable connected to an effect rack, only the instrument input will be active. The only way to use the microphone XLR input is to unplug the guitar cable from the front, and the only way to hear the output from the effect rack plugged into the balanced line input is to unplug the XLR cable.

It's hardware switchable, so XLR trumps Line and Instrument trumps XLR and/or Line. I wanted to have things plugged in at once, and not have to unplug anything, but it doesn't work that way...

Dave
dlgebert

Postby tormodg » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:01 pm

dlgebert wrote:It's hardware switchable, so XLR trumps Line and Instrument trumps XLR and/or Line. I wanted to have things plugged in at once, and not have to unplug anything, but it doesn't work that way...

That's fine. I'll just a small mixer if I need more sources. I guess I'll hook it up it permanently to the rear inputs, then I can use the front inputs when I want to use the built in features like Z-tone etc.
tormodg

Return to Interfaces & Controllers