Setup TonexOne using headphones and computer

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Setup TonexOne using headphones and computer

Postby TomCom82 » Fri May 17, 2024 3:08 pm

Hi,

My main question is how to setup Tonex One using headphones as output.

My signal chain is guitar -> tonex-one(connected to laptop) -> headphones.

When starting up the TONEX librarian I set input->tonex-one and output->tonex-one.
But then it's becomes unworkable because you WILL hear 2 amps a the same time.
Then amp active and the amp that is selected in the Home tab.
So I cannot select new models in the Home tab and review them clearly.

Can anybody help?
TomCom82

Re: Setup TonexOne using headphones and computer

Postby TheKoala2020 » Fri May 17, 2024 9:00 pm

I'm interested in the answer as well, because IK Multimedia clearly markets the ToneX One audio interface as a usable feature... Yet, at the same time, they say amp modelling can be done through any audio interface... See the issue ?

If you can't prevent the input from the ToneX One from getting into the output, the ToneX One becomes one of the very few audio interfaces that can't support the actual tone modelling system IK Multimedia spent years perfectionning. It would be useful to be able to adjust the direct monitoring output volume and the "audio interface" playback output volume independantly, even just for trying tones into the librarian then transferring them into the ToneX One right when you think it sounds good.
TheKoala2020

Postby TomCom82 » Sat May 18, 2024 9:07 am

Conclusion for now making/listening to presents is only really doable using a separate audio interface.
Would be great to see a software update (if even possible) that could disable the Tonex One output amp modeling on the pedal itself.

Idea: activate stompbox mode and deactivate the pedal and start making presets?
TomCom82

Postby alcestepl_ » Sun May 19, 2024 9:06 am

TomCom82 wrote:Idea: activate stompbox mode and deactivate the pedal and start making presets?

Hi, that's what I ended up doing.

guitar=>pedal connected via USB to app=>headphones on pedal out. Tonex app on Asio Tonex pedal.

Put the pedal on stomp mode. To edit presets on the app, deactivate the pedal with the footswitch, and when done, move the preset to the pedal via librarian into the stomp slot.

To test how the preset sounds on the pedal, I turn off all output of the Tonex app on the knob on the bottom right so I don't hear the app preset/model (the dry signal still passes l though). Then activate the pedal with the footswitch to hear the preset that I just moved the pedal.

It's not perfect as its not a clean workflow and I still hear the dry signal mixed with the pedal preset but that's not much of a bother.

If anyone has an easier way to edit, make presets, move them to the pedal and test how them sound on the pedal, without an interface, please chime in!

Thanks
alcestepl_

Postby Peter_IK » Mon May 20, 2024 5:41 pm

There is a section in the manual labeled "Using TONEX ONE as an Audio Interface" that should cover questions about this topic. If you have trouble with what is laid out there, please raise a ticket with IK Support via https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/hw and they will assist you directly.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby alcestepl_ » Mon May 20, 2024 7:22 pm

Thank you Peter.

I've read the manual and I actually connected it to a DAW with Tonex pedal as the input via USB and it worked fine.

But when connected to the Tonex software with the pedal USB (Asio, Tonex in and out) and using headphones on the tone pedal jack out, what I hear is the preset + the dry signal (if I turn off all the software output on the knob on the bottom right, I can still hear the dry signal but not the preset).

Then, if I move the preset to the pedal, disconnect the USB and play the same preset on the pedal, the sound is different because I am missing the dry signal that was part of the software sound. So, in practice, missing completely the point of creating a preset to be used on the pedal, as it does not sound the same...

I guess that's what the manual mentions as "For its structure, TONEX ONE monitoring is always active"

If this is proper operation, then it's useless. The models sound great but if you can't actually hear the same on the app and on the pedal for the same preset, without using an external interface, there's no use to it.

Could anyone confirm that this is "normal"? I am wishing that I am doing something wrong here...

Thanks
alcestepl_

Postby holgerf » Wed May 22, 2024 11:32 am

Got my Tonex One today and ran into the same problem. But it seems like there is no way to completely listen to either the Tonex App or Tone Pedal only.
holgerf

Postby TomCom82 » Sat May 25, 2024 10:11 am

Support asked me to make a video of the problem people here described. Now I'm not really a video kinda guy (bit lazy to make video myself) but does somebody have a video illustrating this behaviour?
TomCom82

Postby marcusadv » Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:50 am

No need for video to realize that if you don't turn off the profile while using Tone X One as a audio interface to play with ToneX Software it would be like plug the output of your amp feeding a amp simulation software! It's a nightmare, specially if you are trying to audition a driven profile with a drive sound loaded in ToneX One!

Seems like IK went with the premisse that anyone who bought ToneX One already have a audio interface and would not use ToneX One as an audio interface for play with the provided software, it's crazy!

Anyway, there is a workaround for this silly behavior, using Tone X One in stomp mode, so you can turn off the pedal when auditioning and tweaking the profiles in ToneX Software. Then you can load the profile in the stomp slot in Librarian and turn of the "Power" button in the amp section of the profile that is loaded in ToneX Software, and then turn on the profile in ToneX One to audition it without superposition.

I really hope that IK fix this odd behavior in a future firmware update, so that ToneX Sofware can detect when ToneX One is chosen as an audio interface and TURN OFF the profiles in the pedal automatically, so we can use it to play/load the profiles in ToneX Software, as it should be!
marcusadv

Postby alcestepl_ » Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:47 pm

marcusadv wrote:Then you can load the profile in the stomp slot in Librarian and turn of the "Power" button in the amp section of the profile that is loaded in ToneX Software, and then turn on the profile in ToneX One to audition it without superposition.

Hi, that was the conclusion I got to but even this way, when you turn the amp model power button off (and all else, comp. reverb, etc) you still get the dry signal from the pedal (I'm listening with headphones directly from the pedal, no interface). With gainy models you don't notice it but with really clean tones you get a kind of light chorus and small increase in volume, when comparing with the same model in the pedal while disconnected from the software. You can also see that the dry signal still comes through when you kill the Tonex software output (the knob on the bottom right) while de model is on, you don't hear the model anymore but you still hear the dry signal from the pedal.

I know IK says that the software is not a live editor of the pedal, just a "librarian", but really...

I didn't return it because the footprint is perfect for me and the tones are great, but this workflow is just a perfect reason not to use this product.

Disappointing.
alcestepl_

Postby skrohn86 » Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:52 pm

I have the exact same issue. Pretty frustrating.
skrohn86

Postby matheusvmbruno » Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:31 pm

I'm expecting IK to fix that issue in the next firmware update. :|
matheusvmbruno

Postby alcestepl_ » Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:06 pm

Hi, I updated Tonex and the Tonex One with yesterday's updates and in the new Global Set up menu on the Librarian section, you can select monitoring on or off.

That allows to use the pedal as an interface to play a model on the software, if you are on stomp mode with the pedal off and the monitoring off - headphones on the pedal output. You don't hear the pedal dry signal anymore, only the model tone. Before, in the same set up (no option for monitoring on or off), if you turned the Output knob on the software all the way down you could still hear the dry signal, now you don't heart anything.

Not perfect but at least one can edit a model and hear it as it will sound in the pedal, without an interface.
alcestepl_

Postby TheKoala2020 » Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:01 pm

Indeed, that's fixed and that's absolutely AWESOME ! Now you can properly gain stage everything, try the amps you want then download them to your tonex in no time !

Quick question if IK sees this : is it normal to still have all the controls working on the Tonex One though ? Seems like the pedal disables its monitoring but still affects the overall tone.
TheKoala2020

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:01 pm

I don't know if I understand what is happening in your case 100% but it does sound like the Stomp Mode section of this FAQ may be pertinent: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?id=1486
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Next

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling