AmpliTube performance

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

AmpliTube performance

Postby hamza_11 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:04 pm

is there any tricks to make at5 take less cpu usage cuz seriously at5 always crashes for me, i remember at4 and at3 having low preformance mod for cpu usage but at5 dosent have any of them, i hope ik team add the low preformance mod for at5 bcz i know im not alone, many ppl always talk about having at5 crashes with high end computers
hamza_11

Re: AmpliTube performance

Postby Boogieshoes » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:21 pm

Sadly none that I am aware of. The original spec for cpu for AT5 said core 2 duo but favoured an i5 cpu. I can say that it really does not work that well with a core 2 duo which worked much better with AT4. I tried support but it didn’t really get any better so I went my own way, which improved things a bit but not a great deal.

You could do worse than to try using Resplendence Latency monitor software (there is a free dl) and that may help identify any other ways of getting cpu power back a bit.
Boogieshoes

Postby Warren P » Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:23 am

My only one year old Apple M1 Max powered Mac Studio does not handle Amplitube 5 with buffer sizes small enough to be useful for realtime playing.

This makes Amplitube useless for any kind of live usage.

Amplitube's CPU usage when you watch it goes like this:

/\. /
/. \/

Up and down and up and down, all DAWs with monitoring of plugin performance show that amplitube's performance is highly variable.

Whenever it runs out of CPU time (due to the innefficient coding of its algorithms) AT5 will generate bad audio.

This does not happen with any other guitar plugin I have. AT5 is uniquely garbage. Sad.
Warren P

Postby darkogav » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:53 am

Hi,whats your buffer size at? What is the interface you using?

When you are running AT5, launch activity monitor and see what AT5 is running as. Apple or Intel?

Based on my findings, AT5 should not be crashing on you. I run it a 128 ,and sometimes 64, buffer on an 10 yr old Intel CPU. But I dont use it for live. Are you launching in standalone for live?

You could also try to completely remove it and re-install it, just in case.
darkogav

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:56 pm

Yes, sounds like something odd is going on as AmpliTube 5 runs at very low latency on hardware that's so well-spec'd as OP's. I'd recommend working directly with IK Support if you have not done so already. I'm sure they can figure out what's happening in your case, OP.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Warren P » Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:06 am

Here's a few notes after fighting with AT5 performance being bad for a bit:

1. It could be a DAW host issue (not amplitube). I am seeing that Amplitube works fine in Bitwig and not fine in Cubase 12 (m1 native).

2. It could be an audio interface or OS drivers for audio interface issue.

3. What is super odd though is also that other amp modelling plugins work fine with cubase 12, on mac m1 max (mac studio 2022), just not IK Multimedia Amplitube, plus 128 or 64 buffer, with cubase.

I really hope there's not some reason why Amplitube can't support a 128 or 64 buffer size audio connection in cubase.

Anyways for the OP; I suggest whatever DAW your using, switch to Reaper and see if the issue persists, and also if you have another audio interface, swap interfaces to see if it's an interface issue. I have found one known to be stable for me configuration:

* Amplitube 5
* Bitwig 5
* 128 buffer size
* 48k sample rate
* Mac os 13.5
* M1 max (mac studio 2022)

I do think that my audio interface is not great at low latency stability (UR22 MK2 from Steinberg) and I'm contemplating replacing it with an Motu M6 or a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 mk4.
Warren P

Postby darkogav » Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:25 am

Not sure what to tell you. I use AT5 at those buffer setting in Cubase 10 all the time. No issues. On my Mac M2 or my old Windows. But I have not upgraded to Cubase 12 and just use Cubase 10.5 in rosetta mode thus far. Sorry, I don't use Bitwig.
darkogav

Postby DTSoundScapes » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:21 am

I'm unsure why this works, but it does:

After adding amplitube as a vst to your track, it adds as a single mono amp. Create a stereo feed then go back to mono and your cpu usage for that specific track will go down to half the burden. here is a video with better detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uei6iivJj4Q

the issue with this is that when you close theproject and reopen, you have to do this for every amplitube track on the project. Its not ideal, but short of freezing every channel, this is the only option.
DTSoundScapes

Postby Obsidian2023 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:14 am

I've been using a mid 2012 macbook pro with no crashes
Obsidian2023

Postby Musical.Alchemy » Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:30 pm

DTSoundScapes wrote:I'm unsure why this works, but it does:

After adding amplitube as a vst to your track, it adds as a single mono amp. Create a stereo feed then go back to mono and your cpu usage for that specific track will go down to half the burden. here is a video with better detail:

the issue with this is that when you close theproject and reopen, you have to do this for every amplitube track on the project. Its not ideal, but short of freezing every channel, this is the only option.

Has IK acknowledged this problem ? Are they working on this ?
Haven't used A5 in a while, been using other software instead.
Musical.Alchemy

Postby darkogav » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:07 pm

DTSoundScapes wrote:I'm unsure why this works, but it does:

Yes, I have seen a few posts on this and tried it. Yes, it does work in reducing resource consumption a bit.

You could also look at a workflow adjustment. What I do is I print the guitar tracks and get rid of the vst in the DAW.
darkogav

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling