Tonex Capture Times for non-Nvidia GPU

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Tonex Capture Times for non-Nvidia GPU

Postby jhaas » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:02 pm

Hey IK-peeps, can you tell us if there is anything in the backlog for improving capture performance on non-Nvidia GPUs, or is this just not in the cards?

I plan to do lots of captures, but I am a cheap hobbyist and can't justify shelling out $400+ on a new video card for this. I'm looking at downgrading from my Radeon to a used GTX770, which is in my budget, but just seems wrong.

The IK site says "NVIDIA GPU with Maxwell or newer architecture is recommended to reduce training times (eg. GeForce GT 750 or higher)"
If any users in here have capture time numbers for something in the 750/770 range, please share.
Last edited by jhaas on Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhaas
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:27 pm

Re: Capture Times for non-Nvidia GPU

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:12 pm

Have you tried with what you have? An Nvidia GPU is not required, it can just help with the capture. You might get results better than you expected without an Nvidia GPU. If you need deeper technical assistance/info, the IK Support team woul dbe happy to assist.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
User avatar
Peter_IK
Kingpin
 
Posts: 19788
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:40 pm
Location: Everywhere

Re: Capture Times for non-Nvidia GPU

Postby jhaas » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:15 pm

Peter_IK wrote:Have you tried with what you have? An Nvidia GPU is not required, it can just help with the capture. You might get results better than you expected without an Nvidia GPU. If you need deeper technical assistance/info, the IK Support team woul dbe happy to assist.


Yes, I'm getting capture times of slightly over one hour for a Default level capture an slightly over 8 hours for an Advanced capture.

I'm also running an AMD CPU, not an Intel as IK recommends.
jhaas
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:27 pm

Re: Tonex Capture Times for non-Nvidia GPU

Postby ETLayman » Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:22 pm

jhaas wrote:Hey IK-peeps, can you tell us if there is anything in the backlog for improving capture performance on non-Nvidia GPUs, or is this just not in the cards?

I plan to do lots of captures, but I am a cheap hobbyist and can't justify shelling out $400+ on a new video card for this. I'm looking at downgrading from my Radeon to a used GTX770, which is in my budget, but just seems wrong.

The IK site says "NVIDIA GPU with Maxwell or newer architecture is recommended to reduce training times (eg. GeForce GT 750 or higher)"
If any users in here have capture time numbers for something in the 750/770 range, please share.



I have the same situation and the same question. Will a cheap Nvidia be better than a higher-end Radeon? Or do you really need to shell out for a high-end Nvidia card to get those training times down?
ETLayman
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:25 pm

Re: Tonex Capture Times for non-Nvidia GPU

Postby jhaas » Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:42 pm

ETLayman wrote:I have the same situation and the same question. Will a cheap Nvidia be better than a higher-end Radeon? Or do you really need to shell out for a high-end Nvidia card to get those training times down?


In the comments of https://youtu.be/mRyOEXRErtU, someone states:

I have a gtx1070 and my advanced captures are under 30min.

but that's the only specific numbers I've seen.
jhaas
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:27 pm

Re: Tonex Capture Times for non-Nvidia GPU

Postby DarkStar » Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:50 pm

^^^^
Perhaps users can post their CPU / GPU / memory specs / capture times for advanced captures, for comparison.

---------------
Which reminds me of a process performance test we were running many years ago. The chief tester asked his colleague to start the test, clicked his stop- watch and just muttered "Tuesday" ;)
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
User avatar
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)
 
Posts: 8678
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:42 pm
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: Tonex Capture Times for non-Nvidia GPU

Postby jhaas » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:00 pm

Code: Select all
OS: Win10
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x 
RAM: 32GB
GPU:  Radeon RX 570
Default Capture: 1 Hour
Advanced Capture: 8 Hours
jhaas
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:27 pm

Re: Tonex Capture Times for non-Nvidia GPU

Postby ETLayman » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:27 pm

jhaas wrote:
ETLayman wrote:I have the same situation and the same question. Will a cheap Nvidia be better than a higher-end Radeon? Or do you really need to shell out for a high-end Nvidia card to get those training times down?


In the comments of https://youtu.be/mRyOEXRErtU, someone states:

I have a gtx1070 and my advanced captures are under 30min.

but that's the only specific numbers I've seen.



Those 1070 cards are still not particularly cheap. A used one on Newegg still costs 250.00-ish. I have a gaming laptop with a mobile version of the GTX 1000 series. I'll have to try using that.

Worst case, I am still satisfied with the results I got with my Radeon card, and I don't figure to be making tons and tons of captures. It's just a "let it run overnight" situation.
ETLayman
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:25 pm

Re: Tonex Capture Times for non-Nvidia GPU

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:10 pm

I will try to capture some Tone Models on my 2080 (non-ti version) when I can. I should be able to at least capture a stomp or two, I have AXE I/O connected to that gaming machine anyway.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
User avatar
Peter_IK
Kingpin
 
Posts: 19788
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:40 pm
Location: Everywhere

Re: Tonex Capture Times for non-Nvidia GPU

Postby dean.winter » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:41 am

jhaas wrote:
Code: Select all
OS: Win10
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x 
RAM: 32GB
GPU:  Radeon RX 570
Default Capture: 1 Hour
Advanced Capture: 8 Hours



Whoa...that seems like a SUPER long time. I don't have a particularly fast machine and here's mine for comparison:

Code: Select all
OS: Win10
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3400 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
RAM: 32GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Advanced Capture: ~55 Minutes
Default Capture: Not sure...never actually tried.


Hope that helps get it sorted.

Dean
dean.winter
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:20 pm
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Tonex Capture Times for non-Nvidia GPU

Postby drewfx1 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:02 am

I'm assuming it's using Nvidia's CUDA technology for parallel processing on the graphics card.

If so, we'd probably need some really technical information to be able to determine which Nvidea cards represent good value as it doesn't look like a simple evaluation given different versions of CUDA, different numbers of CUDA cores running at different clock speeds, etc. But I only have a high level understanding of CUDA processing - I know it's a thing, but I know virtually nothing of the nitty gritty technical details for different types of (co)processing.
drewfx1
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:09 am

Re: Tonex Capture Times for non-Nvidia GPU

Postby spikey » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:22 pm

I'm running an AMD Radeon Pro 5700 8 GB in my 2020 iMac I7 running Monterey OS, 64 gigs ram, and on my 1st advanced capture, I timed it as about 30 minutes... I consider that very acceptable at this point, and I have not tried normal capture yet.
spikey
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: Tonex Capture Times for non-Nvidia GPU

Postby caravansun » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:07 pm

Win 10
Intel I5 -4690 (5-6 years old)
Geforce GTX 1650 GPU (new)

My default training is under 5 mins.
Advance is usually 15-20.

I had an old Nvidia card in this system and my Fast training was 25 mins, I updated to the GTX and my results made a huge improvements.
caravansun
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Tonex Capture Times for non-Nvidia GPU

Postby ETLayman » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:18 pm

caravansun wrote:Win 10
Intel I5 -4690 (5-6 years old)
Geforce GTX 1650 GPU (new)

My default training is under 5 mins.
Advance is usually 15-20.

I had an old Nvidia card in this system and my Fast training was 25 mins, I updated to the GTX and my results made a huge improvements.



This is good to know. Gives a pretty good idea of how the older or cheaper cards will perform. Thanks!
ETLayman
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:25 pm

Re: Tonex Capture Times for non-Nvidia GPU

Postby ZappaMontana10 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:31 pm

Hi,

These are my specs and model training times:

Win 11
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core 3.80 GHz Processor
RAM 32 GB
Geforce GTX 1660 Super

Default Model Training: 6 minutes
Advance Model Training: 50 minutes

NVidea has two driver/controller options, Studio Driver and Game Ready Driver. I have NVidea Studio driver installed and my times are the aboce indicated. Eventually I will install the other driver and test it.

Does anybody know if changing drivers could result in better performance?
ZappaMontana10
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:26 pm

Next

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling