Amplitube 5: What amp sounds like a Valvestate 8100?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Amplitube 5: What amp sounds like a Valvestate 8100?

Postby penguindude43 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:29 pm

Hey all! Using AmpliTube to do a cover, mostly because I don't have the abilities to make my own IRs, and I've been wanting to do a cover of Story to Tell by Death, mainly the 1996 demo w/ Chuck doing clean vocals. Anyways, I've tried a couple different amps, but can't seem to find any that sound the most like a Valvestate. The amp's I have tried are:
Darrell 100 (Randall RG-100ES
SLD 100 (SLO 100)
Dual Rect (Mesa Dual RectumFrier, as I call it)
VHandcraft 4 (Diezel VH4)
Modern Tube Lead (What I'm assuming is some kind of Mesa Rectifier)
Metal Lead W (Randall Warhead, which happens to be one of my favorite all-time amps IRL).
Nothing seems to come close to the sound besides the Darrell 100 and the SLD-100. Any tips/advice? ToneNet doesn't have any Death or Chuck Schuldiner presets unlike BiasFX (I've created my own and have used other peoples presets there, but wanted to give AmpliTube a try, as everyone I've talked to has suggested AmpliTube, pre _).
penguindude43

Re: Amplitube 5: What amp sounds like a Valvestate 8100?

Postby squeezenor » Mon May 09, 2022 9:32 pm

Probably nothing, but here's what I would suggest:

- any of the solid state amps in there; the Randalls, the fender metal head, maybe the generic amplitube ones, etc

- the Marshall jmp1 preamp

- run pedals into each other with no amp. Just stack dirts and throw an eq at the end. Sounds crazy, but you never know. Something like the mudhoney or ambassador can be the "amp", and you hit that with a tube screamer for more gain and then eq it to shape the sound. Experiment with dirts and position in the chain.

- stacking pedals into a clean amp like the Hendrix sunn

Any of these are worth a shot and might get closer than you'd think. If not too the valve state sound, than certainly to more nasty, dry, solid state tones. You might have to get fancy with the post eq, maybe shave off some lows, scoop mids and boost highs to make things crispy and tight, as I remember these things being. Keep us posted!
squeezenor

Re: Amplitube 5: What amp sounds like a Valvestate 8100?

Postby carlaz » Thu May 12, 2022 4:25 pm

Yeah, alas, there's nothing really like the Marshall Valvestate amps in AmpliTube -- which is kind of too bad, since there now seems to be a bit of a retro-trend for Valvestates. I had an 8080 combo back in the day, and I remember it fondly! There is at least one plugin supposed to be based on a Valvestate 8100 from another manufacturer.

Bizarrely enough, there is actually a speaker model in AmpliTube that is based on the speakers that came in the Valvestate combos: the Brit TG12G which appears by default in the 1x12 Combo cabinet model. The Custom Shop explicitly identifies this cab model as "Based on Marshall® Valvestate® 1x12". Go figure! Anyway, using that cab and/or speaker model might help you capture some Valvestate vibes in AmpliTube! 8-)
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling