Amp5 & Garageband Latency Issues

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Amp5 & Garageband Latency Issues

Postby chakk19 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:26 pm

I have seen a few others comment on this but I have not really seen a true solution yet.
My set up and issues:

MacBook Pro, 16GB DDR3
iRig HD 2 (even updated firmware on this)
Amplitube 5 Max
Garageband Ver. 10.4.3

With all other programs and apps on computer closed, everything works great for about 10-15min and then I get that split-second latency. I have seen comments regarding lowering the buffer size of Amp5. I can do that when the software is opened as a stand alone but, when used as a plug-in within Garageband, I do not have that option.

One question is this: If I open Amp5 as a stand-alone, set buffer to 128 or 64, then close, will that buffer selection be used when it is next opened as a plug-in within Garageband?

Needless to say, I have tried lowering buffer size and I still get the latency.

Hoping there is a workaround on this... I LOVE playing through Amp5 as a stand-alone but kinda defeats the purpose if I can not use it to do some recording.

PS The new Vinnie Moore Presets are AMAZING!!!
chakk19

Re: Amp5 & Garageband Latency Issues

Postby DarkStar » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:03 pm

When you use AT4 as a plug-in in GarageBand (or any other DAW) it is the DAW that determines the buffer size (normally taking it from the audio interface).

So if you set it in the AT4 standalone program, that setting is passed to the audio interface driver. When you then run GB, GB asks the audio interface drive what the buffer size is.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby christopher.moyse » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:25 am

I'm not familiar with Garageband, but I wonder if this is caused by any other plugins that you may also be using in Garageband. Does Garageband offer any kind of plugin delay compensation, whereby the DAW looks at how you are using all of your plugs and adds delay to compensate for the longest latency chain in your current configuration? The intent of this is to synchronise the various streams of audio passing through the DAW, but to achieve this, latency overall invariably increases. If this is the issue, consider defeating it for tracking purposes, or disabling other plugs (temporarily) or even reconfiguring routing (temporarily).
christopher.moyse

Postby garfy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:03 pm

Yeah, GarageBand is a little hampered when it comes to latency. There are no built in controls for buffer size and I don't think there is PDC. Best advice is to reboot your Mac before opening GB to clear out any RAM and only having GB running to conserve processing power.

Although not much of an alternative, you could record your guitar tracks using the onboard amp-sim in GB as it should be a bit lighter on CPU cycles and then replace it with AT5 when you've finished recording.

There is a Limiter in place on the output but it is disabled by default so shouldn't be causing a problem unless it's been switched on.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling