How to find the right preset?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

How to find the right preset?

Postby m.hewing@gmx.de » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:12 pm

Hi there,
first of all: i am very new to e-guitar playing and Amplitube 5.
I have absolutely no idea on how setting up the "right sound" works.
So i purchased Amplitube 5 MAX in the hope of getting many many presets for playing different sounds "out of the box".
Unfortunately, there are so many presets, that i don't know what to choose.

As i am a beginner, i am starting with some easy stuff actually.
Right now, i am especially practising on ACDC - TNT and some Greenday and The Offspring songs, as they seem to be doable for me at my actual skill level.

The problem: how can i find a proper sound / preset for ACDC, Greenday and The Offspring?

Can you help me out? can you name me a maybe already existing preset?
Or is there some kind of "community preset sharing platform" i need to sign up to?

Help is really appreciated,
Thank you!

Regards,
Max
m.hewing@gmx.de

Re: How to find the right preset?

Postby carlaz » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:22 pm

The presets in AmpliTube are sometimes named in a way that "suggests" certain artists and/or songs, but you are right that it is far from clear.

This may not be a helpful answer :oops: but this is one of the reasons I don't usually play with the stock presets in AmpliTube -- or I use them just as "inspiration" or "platforms" for creating my own presets.

Really, to approximate a given artist's tone, I find the most useful approach is to search online for information about the real gear they use (or used during the period in which I am interested) and then look for similar models in AmpliTube to help build my own rig.

There is, for example, enormous amounts of online information (perhaps too much!) regarding AC/DC gear and tone. I'm not sure that AmpliTube has exact matches for the amps, but (for example) I would think that the JH Gold or Vintage Metal Lead would be similar to classic AC/DC amps (and, then, probably a Marshall-type cab with Brit Green or Brit Anniversary speakers, or some mix of those). Start with all the controls around 5, and adjust to taste.

The guy in Green Day uses modded (for more gain) Marshall Superleads, I think. So your best bet there is something that approximates that -- maybe the AFD100 from the Slash package? Or one of the several channels in the Satch VM? Marshal-type cabs with ... maybe Brit 75 or Brit V3 speakers? Again, start with all the controls around 5, and adjust to taste. There is, again, a fair amount of info about his gear online.

Offspring ... for earlier records, I am thinking the Mesa/Boogie Mark IV lead channel? That's available in Amplitube. 8-) I am not sure about cabs/speakers ... but perhaps just stock Mesa cabs? (I think more recently they have used VHT amps, too, but I am not sure AmpliTube includes any VHT-type amps.) There is likely to be info about the Offspring's gear online, though I've not searched for it!

Anyway, that would be my approach: find out about the real gear your favorite artists use, and try to approximate a similar rig in AmpiTube. :geek: 8-)
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:55 am

There is also metadata for the presets that is searchable via the Preset Browser which should help. Since you can look for certain characteristics of a sound, it would definitely narrow down your search.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby m.hewing@gmx.de » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:18 pm

Thank you @carlaz and thank you @Peter_IK for your replys.
I'll definitly check that out!
m.hewing@gmx.de

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling