AT5 Mixer section signal flow diagram - first draft

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

AT5 Mixer section signal flow diagram - first draft

Postby dmitch » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:41 pm

I've put together a rough flow diagram showing all of the AT5 mixer's components and related signals. It's a bit more complicated than what's shown in the GUI Chain View. (I cooked this up this mainly to clarify for myself exactly what the mixer section is doing.)

The current diagram in PDF form is freely accessible here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1fdv8kr2pjks6hk/AT5%20Mixer.pdf?dl=1

I'm open to suggestions as to how to improve this document.
AmpliTube 5.7.0 MAX; 2023 Mac Mini M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, macOS 14.1; Logic Pro 10.7.9; Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen.
dmitch

Re: AT5 Mixer section signal flow diagram - first draft

Postby DarkStar » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:18 pm

That is very clear; good job :)

Being me, I have a few suggestions:
(a) make the stereo signal paths 2 parallel lines,
(b) colour the mono signals from Cab 1 orange-red and those from Cab 2 orange-brown, to match the colours used in the AT5 user manual,
(c) The the "output level" element to "Trim Output Level" and use the horizontal slider and meters graphic,
(d) maybe position the Room Mics above the cabinets and Mics 1 and 2 on the cabinets?

And, this does lead to the question - what is that "Trim Output level slider for? Other than quick access no matter what view is selected.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby dmitch » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:17 pm

Thanks, DarkStar. All good suggestions, and incorporated into the document. An updated version is at the same URL as above.

DarkStar wrote:And, this does lead to the question - what is that "Trim Output level" slider for? Other than quick access no matter what view is selected.

Indeed. Two level controls in serial doing exactly the same thing...hmmm... I honestly don't see the point of the one in the Mixer. That's the kind of thing I was hoping to bring to light when I started drawing this picture.
AmpliTube 5.7.0 MAX; 2023 Mac Mini M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, macOS 14.1; Logic Pro 10.7.9; Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen.
dmitch

Postby DarkStar » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:47 pm

Even better.

The connections from [+] to "Cab 1 Bus FX" to "Cab 1 Bus level & Pan" to [+} should be orange-brown too.

I guess that the mono output from the "DI Level and Pan" is applied to both channels going into the Master Bus. Maybe show it as:
But I could be wrong about that ;)
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby dmitch » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:03 am

DarkStar wrote:The connections from [+] to "Cab 1 Bus FX" to "Cab 1 Bus level & Pan" to [+} should be orange-brown too.

I think that would be missing the point of why those lines are currently shaded red: those are stereo cab buses. (Note that is a different color than the cab 2 Mic lines. Maybe that color difference is not clear? I'll modify the Cab 2 Mic color a bit to make that clearer.) I'm trying to show something that the manual doesn't clearly show: what is associated with a cab bus (and what order they are in), what is associated with the master bus, etc. In my view (and in my diagram :-) ) a bus starts at a summing node ("+").

DarkStar wrote:I guess that the mono output from the "DI Level and Pan" is applied to both channels going into the Master Bus.

Well that's a bit tricky: if we did that, then the outputs of all the volume/pan sections (after the cab mics) would be shown as stereo too. But...they really aren't; the app's Mixer view shows each mic signal as being mono (each has one VU meter, not two) even though each has a pan, and the same for the DI (one VU, not two). I guess the path from a pan pot to a summing function is a bit of a special case (it's where mono becomes stereo) but that's more detail than I wanted to have in the diagram.That would mean showing separate faders for level and pan...for this kind of diagram I thought that would be overkill.
dmitch

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling