AT5 mixer flow diagram request

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

AT5 mixer flow diagram request

Postby dmitch » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:13 pm

I'd really like to see a signal flow diagram, or a block diagram, showing all the level controls in the AT5 mixer module, and where they are in the signal chain relative to the various FX modules and buses. A picture is worth a kiloword, and a good flow diagram would go a long way towards explaining things like:

-- What is the relationship between the master level control in the mixer view, and the master output control that's always visible in the lower right of the window? They are not the same - i.e. change one and the other doesn't move; they are both saved in a preset. But I can't figure out what the difference between them is. Are they just two volume controls in series? What's the purpose of that?

-- In the Mixer view, is the Bus fader pre- or post-FX? By playing around I figured out that it's post. How come? Every physical mixer I've ever used has level controls both pre and post FX sends. In any case there should be a diagram showing what's going on here.

-- In the Mixer view, is the Master fader pre- post-FX? Same comments as the item above. It would be so useful to have additional faders pre-FX on all buses, to optimize the level sent to the FX modules.

I feel that the Chain View's depiction of the Mixer module is somewhere between confusing and misleading. In the view, the mixer appears after the Cab Bus FX modules (if there are any, else it appears after the Cabs) and before the Master Bus FX modules. But its functionality extends beyond that position in the Chain in both directions. I guess I'm not asking for a redesign of the Chain view....but I am asking for a good diagram in the manual which shows what is really going on.
AmpliTube 5.7.0 MAX; 2023 Mac Mini M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, macOS 14.1; Logic Pro 10.7.9; Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen.
dmitch

Re: AT5 mixer flow diagram request

Postby garfy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:09 pm

Hey dmitch

dmitch wrote:What is the relationship between the master level control in the mixer view, and the master output control that's always visible in the lower right of the window?

Haven't quite worked it out yet, but you're right, they're not graphically connected. Personally, I leave the (red) master at 0.00 and use the one in the lower right as it's always there.

dmitch wrote:In the Mixer view, is the Bus fader pre- or post-FX?

dmitch wrote:In the Mixer view, is the Master fader pre- post-FX?

dmitch wrote:Every physical mixer I've ever used has level controls both pre and post FX sends

Definitely post-FX as they are inserts not send/returns.

dmitch wrote:I feel that the Chain View's depiction of the Mixer module is somewhere between confusing and misleading

I guess it was a compromise, otherwise they would've had to depict the red master fader separately in the flow diagram.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Re: AT5 mixer flow diagram request

Postby dmitch » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:32 pm

garfy wrote:
dmitch wrote:In the Mixer view, is the Bus fader pre- or post-FX?

dmitch wrote:In the Mixer view, is the Master fader pre- post-FX?

Definitely post-FX as they are inserts not send/returns.

Right, as I said, I eventually figured it out. But a diagram in the manual would have made it a lot easier to understand. Everybody, raise your hand if you understood this the first time you tried to use the Mixer module. ;)

garfy wrote:
dmitch wrote:I feel that the Chain View's depiction of the Mixer module is somewhere between confusing and misleading

I guess it was a compromise, otherwise they would've had to depict the red master fader separately in the flow diagram.

Yup, I'm not asking for a change to the Chain view. There's probably no way to do that cleanly without cluttering up the GUI. I'm asking for documentation in the manual.
AmpliTube 5.7.0 MAX; 2023 Mac Mini M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, macOS 14.1; Logic Pro 10.7.9; Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen.
dmitch

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling