Need Community Assistance/Input - AT5 & REAPER [Resolved]

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Need Community Assistance/Input - AT5 & REAPER [Resolved]

Postby hermybear2002 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:19 pm

I received an email back from Support regarding my Reaper crashing with AT5. I looks like it's a resolution issue. There is supposed to be an update coming out next week to 'fix' it, but I am not sure what that fix is. In the interim, I was told that if I can raise my resolution to 1440x900 or higher, it would work...

Here is my issue -

I am using a 2012 pre-retina Macbook Pro with native resolution of 1280x800. That is as high as it goes. I have looked all over the net and there seems to be a fix or two using an app and the command terminal, but I am such a Mac noob I have no idea how to or where to find it, let alone make it work. There was a couple of other suggestions, like using an external display, etc. but I don't have access to another display at this time. Is there anyone else here using a pre-retina Macbook Pro that has been able to increase their native resolution to 1440 or above? Please tell me how to do this...I will also go to Apple shortly, but if I can from the community, would be of great help cuz I know that it would work.

Also @ Peter - I have looked a a couple of the AT5 wishlists...all have been LOCKED :shock: :|
hermybear2002

Re: Need Community Assistance/Input

Postby DarkStar » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:25 pm

I have split your post into its own thread, for clarity and focus.

I cannot help with the Mac, but the AT5 wish-lists are not locked for me.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Re: Need Community Assistance/Input - AT5 & REAPER

Postby DarkStar » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:41 pm

I would think that if the native resolution is 1280x800 then the screen cannot physically go above that.

Maybe you could borrow a screen from a friend for a few days? And scrabble around for a suitable connector cable. ;)
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby hermybear2002 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:49 pm

From IKM Support:

There is an issue with any resolution below 1400x that will cause a crash in stand alone and possible in plug in mode.

The update next week will resolve this.

I actually have no issues in Stand Alone. Only in REAPER.

Please close this thread. There is no fix or way to increase the resolution on a pre-retina MBP.
hermybear2002

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:12 am

Sounds like the fix will also apply to using it as a plugin, so that's good news!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

AT5 & REAPER CRASH - WORK AROUND!!!

Postby hermybear2002 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:59 am

I found a work around!

After an exhaustive and futile search for the magic bean that would give my pre-retina 2012 MBP the ability to access higher resolutions (including a 45 minute conversation with Apple techs), I found a solution. Roku TV...or ANY internet accessible TV.

Just about anything made in the last few years can connect to the net, so I set up an airplay connection to my 43" Roku and then opened REAPER. I opened a track & clicked on the FX button. I then clicked on AT5 and...BLAM! It actually opened.

Now I was in mirrored display so I clicked on the airplay icon and switched to separate and was able to put REAPER on the Roku and the FX dialogue box on my MBP, which is what I originally wanted to do before my desktop monitor decided it didn't like the MBP and wouldn't accept a signal (I think it's the resolution issue with the Mac that is doing it).

Anyway, I was able to switch back and forth between mirror and separate without a crash. Sound was still up and I was able to pull patches from the dropdown. I didn't set up a midi connection yet, but I don't see it being an issue. REAPER is very easy to work with getting in getting my FCB1010 & BRC2000 set up to control PC/CC, etc.

The only issue was when in separate mode, if you go back to mirrored but don't make it mirror the Mac, the REAPER FX box turns black on both screens; sound still worked but you couldn't see the plugin until you went to airplay and choose to mirror the Mac. Just something to be aware of and easy to fix/manage.

So, although I am awaiting the fix update coming next week, I am able to put this beloved AT5 into my beloved REAPER and be beloved by the sound I am getting.

Amazing how music (playing) can still sooth the Savage Beast in all of us. <3

Hope this helps others until the update next week!
hermybear2002

Postby DarkStar » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:06 pm

I am glad that you've found a solution. That's pretty inventive. :)

--------------------
As this thread has been resolved for the original poster it will be marked as such and locked to keep the forum tidy.
  • If you are the original poster and wish to add a comment please ask a Moderator to unlock the thread.
  • If you are reading this thread because you are having similar issues or have questions of a related nature, please feel free to start a new topic.
  • Remember that similar symptoms do not mean the same problem or solution.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling