A quick question about Modern M 3

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

A quick question about Modern M 3

Postby sumaleeeu » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:13 am

Hi,

So I'm liking the sound of the cabinet 4x12 Modern M 3, but I've read that it's supposed to be a later JCM800 cabinet. If my Marshall trivia is correct, that would mean it's loaded with Celestion G12T-75 speakers?

What's confusing me is that the "Closed 75 C" should in theory be the exact same cabinet: An '80s Marshall loaded with Celestion G12T-75s.

The standard 1960a and JCM800 only differed in name when both were using this speaker. Yet in the program they sound quite different. Am I missing something?

(Yes I'm a bit obsessed)
sumaleeeu

Re: A quick question about Modern M 3

Postby carlaz » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:01 pm

If I remember correctly, the 4x12 Modern M 1-3, the 4x12 Vintage M1-2, the 4x12 Metal F1-2, the 4x12 Metal T 1-3, and the 4x12 Metal V 1-3 are all Amplitube 2-era cab models, from back before the software modeled the individual placement of different microphone models. So, originally, each of those cab variants were intended to model a complete cab mic'ing setup in a given space, with some (unknown) microphones placed in certain (unknown) positions.

So, yes, in theory, the 4x12 Modern M 1, M 2, and M 3 "cabs" all model a Marshall JCM800 4x12 cab with Celestion G-12T-75 speakers, just with three different mic setups. So, really, the above-mentioned cab models from AT2 are still available for backwards compatibility. To use them as intended in AT2 bu in AT3/4, you would presumably have to bypass the current mic/cab/room modelling part of the signal path.

The simplest thing to do is probably just treat them as "alternate" cab models. After all, it's not like every cab will sound the same as every other cab of the same make and model after 20 or 30 years of use and abuse.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling