Amplitube4 on Microsoft Surface (or other windows tablet)

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Amplitube4 on Microsoft Surface (or other windows tablet)

Postby pierrick584 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:53 pm

Hello i am looking into aquiring a new windows tablet to run amplitube4 on it for my live rig.

I arleady aquired a very cheap windows tablet to try out as a music sheet reader and other small music tools. Lets be honest, there was no real surprise in the fact amplitube doesnt run well on it (static noise and delay, even quite extreme) but it still got me thinking about what surface will and will not work, what are the minimum processor i should get, ect...

I'm kind on a budget so i cant just get the brand new i7. I could probably get a surface 3/4 i5, or the brand new m3 or even the new new 10 inch surface they just released, but with the new m3 or 10 inch, i'm worried they wouldnt run amplitube well.

Also i aim at running it though the audio jack and not a usb interface, unless i REALY have to. i arleady work that way with my 17 inch laptop and it works like a charm, i would just like to have a more portable alternative. especially since i'll haul a tablet around as a music sheet reader anyway, so it'd be great if it can do both.

So, what tablet do you guys have and run amplitube fine? do you guys have any suggestion to what i should do? i'd prefer to go brand new to have a battery in good shape, but i'll consider an older i5
pierrick584

Re: Amplitube4 on Microsoft Surface (or other windows tablet

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:58 pm

You will likely experience issues running directly into the audio jack on a Surface. The onboard soundcard/interface is not made for realtime audio processing with very low latency. You should use a proper audio interface in this setup. That said, AmpliTube will run fine on a Surface Pro 4 i5. On a non-optimized (for audio) Surface Pro 4 i5 with every slot in every category open - and with some heavy hitters like many instances of the Fulltone TERC and SSTE) it seems CPU peaks at around 27% and using around 130MB RAM.

Again, though, it will work best using a proper audio interface.

You also have options in PREFS that can be turned off to make AmpliTube more resource-efficient.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby richo144 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:07 pm

I use AmpliTube 4 With a Samsung Galaxybook 12 and ASIO drivers with a Stomp I/O and works perfectly
richo144

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:37 pm

richo144 wrote:I use AmpliTube 4 With a Samsung Galaxybook 12 and ASIO drivers with a Stomp I/O and works perfectly

What are you using for an audio interface? The reason using the onboard soundcard is not recommended is that guitar/bass require a Hi-Z/instrument input for best results (and sometimes any results) or else there is an impedance mismatch which causes degradation in the sonic quality.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby richo144 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:43 pm

I connect directly from the stomp IO using the USB cable into the USB C port in my galaxybook and with ASIO Drivers, I hear no real difference between PC or IPAD.

as extra info I use the left output on the I/O to a dbTechnologies Opera 12 active Speaker.
richo144

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:59 pm

richo144 wrote:I connect directly from the stomp IO using the USB cable into the USB C port in my galaxybook and with ASIO Drivers, I hear no real difference between PC or iPad.

as extra info I use the left output on the I/O to a dbTechnologies Opera 12 active Speaker.

Yes, the audio interface in iRig Stomp I/O is a great high-quality audio interface so you will get great results that way. In that case, iRig Stomp I/O is your audio interface and it not using the device's audio input.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby richo144 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:08 pm

Thanks Peter, also it is ok to use asio drivers? or should I use directsound or windows exclusive (the others 2 options that i have).

regards.
richo144

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:02 pm

richo144 wrote:Thanks Peter, also it is ok to use asio drivers? or should I use directsound or windows exclusive (the others 2 options that i have).

regards.

iRig Stomp I/O should use ASIO4ALL. You can find the settings for ASIO4ALL in the FAQ at www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/3615
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling