Latency with Amplitube + Focusrite scarlett

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Latency with Amplitube + Focusrite scarlett

Postby Ed_____ » Thu Jul 18, 2024 1:06 pm

Hello,

Would you have an idea why my electric guitar, Focusrite Scarlett solo 4th gen and Amplitube 5 give a lot of latency?

My cabling:
• Electric guitar jack into Scarlett Solo front input.
• Scarlett Solo USB-C into USB on my PC
• 2 x jack in Scarlett solo output on the back, into 1x mini jack into line in on my PC motherboard audio

In Amplitube I select
• Technology: DirectSound
• Input device: Analogue 1+2 (Focusrite USB audio). Left channel: Left. Right channel: Right
• Output device: Headset earphone (6-Logitech G535 gaming headset). Left channel: Left. Right channel: right
• Buffer size: 1024 (any less gives audio issues).
• MIDI input: ANY
Ed_____

Re: Latency with Amplitube + Focusrite scarlett

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Jul 18, 2024 5:45 pm

You want to use ASIO not DirectSound. Also please make sure you have the latest drivers for your audio interface installed on your system.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Ed_____ » Fri Jul 19, 2024 5:45 pm

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply! I've tried your suggestion, my settings in Amplitube 5 are now:
• Technology: ASIO
• Input device: Focusrite USB AIO (can't change this). Left channel: Input 1. Right channel: Input 2
• Output device: Focusrite USB ASIO. Left channel: Output 1. Right channel: Output 2
• Buffer size: 256.
• MIDI input: ANY

When I strum the guitar I see the Input meter in the lower left react. Also the Output meter in the lower right reacts. But I hear no sound in my headphones (Logitech G535, wireless connection to PC)

If you have a suggestion how I could get sound, I'd appreciate it!
Ed_____

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Jul 19, 2024 10:55 pm

Ah, the output in this case would be sent to your Focusrite's outputs. I'd either plug the headphones in there (not sure you can if wireless) or change the output to the headphones. Note, however, that the wireless headphones are likely to cause a bit more latency so you may still have a slight delay in the signal.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Ed_____ » Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:27 pm

Thanks for the reply! I cannot plug my headphones into the Focusrite (different plug). The output I can change to
• Focusrite Thunderbolt ASIO - gives an error which is probably because I don;t have a thunderbolt port
• Focusrite USB ASIO - gives no output in my PC headphones
• Realtek ASIO - gave an error about not starting correctly.

So there did not seem to be an option to change the output to my headphones...

I thought I'd try to update my Realtek ASIO drivers, but these now seem to have taken over my Focusrite drivers ? In the Audio/Midi page of Amplitube when I select Technology: ASIO I only have "Realtek ASIO" as input device ? So I seem to have worsened my problem.

Would you have any guidance how to proceed, with the ultimate goal of being able to apply effects on my guitar signal and hear the output in wireless headphones connected to my PC ?
Ed_____

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:15 pm

It may not be possible on Windows (it doesn't handle multiple audio interfaces which technically this would be since the output would be to your wireless headphones in the same was as macOS does) but also... I don't think you'll get the experience you want using those headphones. They are either utilizing the onboard soundcard as the "interface" for the output which will not be one that functions properly for realtime audio processing for music and wireless headphones will have their own inherent delay that could be minor yet noticeable or possibly as bad as when you couldn't go lower than that high buffer setting.

I could be wrong not knowing the precise details of your setup so I'd suggest if you feel this could work and provide a pleasant low-latency experience you might want to reach out to IK Support to have them work with you directly via https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/sw
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Mar316 » Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:30 am

Peter_IK wrote:You want to use ASIO not DirectSound. Also please make sure you have the latest drivers for your audio interface installed on your system.

Where do you go to install the proper audio drivers?
Mar316

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:45 pm

Mar316 wrote:
Peter_IK wrote:You want to use ASIO not DirectSound. Also please make sure you have the latest drivers for your audio interface installed on your system.

Where do you go to install the proper audio drivers?

Your audio interface manufacturer would provide the proper ASIO drivers for your audio interface.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling