Extremely noisy on high gain

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Extremely noisy on high gain

Postby fingersmcginty » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:32 pm

I've just downloaded amp5 max and i'm plugging my guitar straight into my focusrite 2i2 but there is an extreme background hum that's very annoying. Any ideas on how to reduce this because as it is it ios totally unuseable.
fingersmcginty

Re: Extremely noisy on high gain

Postby joanesinu » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:43 am

When you route the guitar input signal directly to the headphone output, can you hear the noise?

From the 2i2 software routing. WIthout passing from the pc.
joanesinu

Postby fingersmcginty » Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:14 am

Thanks for the reply. I have my monitor speakers switched off and i am only monitoring through the headphones. The noise on high gain models is unbearable. When i go through a low gain amp there is no noise at all. This proves it is not my equipment but the software?
fingersmcginty

Postby joanesinu » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:48 am

fingersmcginty wrote:Thanks for the reply. I have my monitor speakers switched off and i am only monitoring through the headphones. The noise on high gain models is unbearable. When i go through a low gain amp there is no noise at all. This proves it is not my equipment but the software?

Yes, but you are monitoring the 1,2 channels of the PC to the headphones.

Route the guitar input directly to the headphones, with no PC, no amplitube, nothing. Guitar raw signal to the headphones. You should be able to do that in the mixer of the 2i2. (I can with my clarett 4pre).

Also, do you have the 2i2 guitar input selected as 'Instrument' instead of 'line'?

What is your routing (2i2 software) when playing amplitube?
joanesinu

Postby fingersmcginty » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:13 pm

Yes i can route directly to headphones. No noise whatsoever. No noise on the low gain amps but extreme on the high gain amps. I am using the instrument setting on the interface.
fingersmcginty

Postby DTSoundScapes » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:20 pm

fingersmcginty wrote:Yes i can route directly to headphones. No noise whatsoever. No noise on the low gain amps but extreme on the high gain amps. I am using the instrument setting on the interface.

Using the instrument input, turn the gain all the way to 0. Do you still have the same noise?

I have recently discovered that having my gain knob at 0 on the interface for my instrument input when using guitars and bass, regardless of active/nonactive pickups, that I have more control over the overall sound of the amps. If you feel like you are not getting enough "gain" don't do it on the interface, simply put a gain/volume/trim plugin before amplitube and raise it the same amount that your manual shows for maximum input for your audio interface.

For example on my umc1820 the maximum input is 18dbu. So when i come across an amp that needs "more juice" i simply put a volume plugin and set it to +18 before the amplitube VST and lower accordingly. Looking through the manual of the 2i2 i see its set at 12dbu for instrument input. so you would set your trim, or use the slash gain pedal because its the cleanest one, to set the gain up 12db. Its also the same as using the input slider on the bottom left as well. Input slider doesn't make it record louder, it just hits amplitube harder(if you see red, it doesn't matter, you'll never hear the clipping and sometimes its necessary to get that real crunch)

But, honestly, i haven't had to do that at all, because at 0 gain, everything sounds great with humbuckers, single coils, p-style bass pickups, and active 7 and 5 string basses. Its so much easier keeping the gain at 0 because if i have to redo a part that was done in days past, i don't have to mess with getting the gain knob right on the interface. Its just a plug and play. I can do bass and guitars on the same input without any problems.
DTSoundScapes

Postby fingersmcginty » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:35 am

Thanks for the informative reply. I will try that.
fingersmcginty

Postby dougb415 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:05 pm

Have you tried using the noise gate?
dougb415

Postby fingersmcginty » Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:23 pm

Don't use noise gates at all....don't like them
fingersmcginty

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling