Routing to FOH with ToneX and pedals

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Routing to FOH with ToneX and pedals

Postby riff_raff_ruff » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:26 pm

Hey there,

Recently grabbed a ToneX pedal. So far, so good. Loving the presets I’ve found on tone.net.

I wanted to check in on best practices for my use case.

I have a few drive pedals and a phaser going into my ToneX, then have the left output going to a chorus, delays, and ending with a Strymon Nightsky. Just picked up a DI box, too (Pinstripe SWDI). From there, I’d typically go to a Behringer xr32, and use IEMs for monitoring, and FOH gets the signal through the Behringer.

Now, when I’m going out from my Strymon, it doesn’t sum to mono AFAIK, so I think I’m only getting the left side? At least that’s what I’m hearing when I plug headphones into the pedal (though I get both sides if my headphones are on the ToneX, without the time-based effects). So should I run stereo outputs to get my full signal? Maybe more of a question Strymon or Pinstripe than IK but I thought I’d start here.
riff_raff_ruff

Re: Routing to FOH with ToneX and pedals

Postby BLuzJW91 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:05 pm

I have a few drive pedals and a phaser going into my ToneX, then have the left output going to a chorus, delays, and ending with a Strymon Nightsky. Just picked up a DI box, too (Pinstripe SWDI). From there, I’d typically go to a Behringer xr32, and use IEMs for monitoring, and FOH gets the signal through the Behringer.

The Tonex output should be mono and shouldn't be an issue unless you have the reverb on the Tonex active. Whichever pedal is your first stereo pedal should have stereo outs going to each step downstream from it. So, if your chorus is stereo, you should have stereo pairs out of the chorus and in/out of each step after that. From your stereo direct box you should be feeding two channels on the X32 and they should be a stereo pair, hard panned left and right. Then, you will need to monitor those two stereo channels in your IEMs.
BLuzJW91

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling