No luck getting a good tone out of Amplitube 5

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

No luck getting a good tone out of Amplitube 5

Postby JuanBaptistaRR1 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:59 am

Hi guys,
I was just wondering if anyone would give me hand with this issue. I'm a new time comer on Amplitube, but have been a Helix user for a long time (so can make my way around modelers).

I've been trying to get a nice tight high gain sound out of Amplitube 5 MAX with little to no success. Even did several A/B comparisons of the same amp and effects between AP5 and Helix, but can't seem to get the hang of it. The distortion out the chain lacks punch as if the incoming signal was weak (I use the same audio interface with both plugins). Even using the same IR would not bring two equal amp models close to the same level of gain. For example, the MESA Dual Rect. needs its gain set very high in order to deliver, but it still lacks punch. I have to add a distortion pedal with some drive in order to raise the approach some level of sound I'm looking for.

I really like AP5 design and features, the interface is great to use and seams to be very good for certain type of sounds. I was really hoping the expand my sound library, but I just can't seem to make it work the way I need. This is no rant, I think IK has done a great work with the amount of features AP5 packs and I'm not trying to convince anyone that Helix or other modelers are better in any way. It's just that this core issue is completely holding me back.

I hope someone has a better understanding of this issue than I do.
JuanBaptistaRR1

Re: No luck getting a good tone out of Amplitube 5

Postby JuanBaptistaRR1 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:29 pm

I was able to figure it out.

I'm glad I was able to, the are tons of features I wanted to try.
JuanBaptistaRR1

Postby jhall123 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:47 pm

So... what was the answer? I'm very interested in how you did it!
jhall123

Postby JuanBaptistaRR1 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:52 pm

As always, it depends on what you are looking for. But perhaps this helps.
I found a preset online that was somewhat tweakable and went from there. I'm not sure if this amp model is particularly sensitive to the previous blocks upstream, but after a while I found a nice sound to start tweaking and using different cabs and IR.

I'm using a and ENGL Powerball with Noise gate from hell, a 7 band Eq and a tube screamer with 0 OD, 10 level and 10 tone. The cab is an E 412 PRO XXL btw.

I'm testing the Soldano as well.

At the moment I have 4 tracks loaded with Helix, Amplitube 5, Otto Audio 11 11 and _ Gojira. AMP5 is holding quiet nice with the rest.

Hope this helps
JuanBaptistaRR1

Postby jhall123 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:03 pm

Thanks! I tend more towards '70-'80's era Rock but Love the well crafted Metal tones and could never understand how to craft them. I find those high gain metal sounds to be excellent lead tones for rock based rythm guitar tracks.
jhall123

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling