Metal Kit toms are...odd (possibly wrong/glitched)

Discussions about MODO DRUM physically modeled drums and MODO BASS - the first physically modeled electric bass virtual instrument

Metal Kit toms are...odd (possibly wrong/glitched)

Postby Metalmucil » Fri Aug 09, 2024 7:19 am

So I recently picked up ModoDrum, and I love it overall.
However, the toms on the metal kit are all messed up.

1- the sizes don't match the listing and, because of size limitations, I actually CAN'T even match the listing if I try to edit them.
The advertised sizes are 10x9, 12x10, 14x10, 16x16, and 18x16
The actual sizes on the kit are 7x7, 10x9, 13x11, 15x15, and 19x17 (same as Bubinga, oddly enough)
Now, not really a huge deal because we can edit sizes etc., except that the first tom cannot actually be edited to that size?

2 - Tom2 is completely borked. It's deeper than Tom3 and roughly equal to Tom4!
here's the toms with their approximate fundamental notes per an analyzer:
Tom1 - 144hz
Tom2 - drops all the way down to 75hz! Nearly a full octave from Tom1. And its super resonant. It also has this crazy extra harmonic around 275hz that rings nearly as loud as the fundamental and hangs forever. None of the others do this.
Tom3 - goes back UP to 84hz (and sounds more like Tom1, way less resonant)
Tom 4 - drops down to 73hz, just below Tom2 ??? Also less resonant, similar to 1 and 3.
Tom 5 - is solid down around 50-ish IIRC, sounds fine

The kit overall sounds great, but you can't tell me that something isn't wrong here. Maybe the 2 problems are interrelated?

What's the scoop?
Metalmucil

Re: Metal Kit toms are...odd (possibly wrong/glitched)

Postby Metalmucil » Sun Aug 11, 2024 7:49 am

Yeah, going through all the kids, none of them match the stated sizes across the board!
The majority have at least 1 or 2 elements that are incorrectly sized. Bass drums, snares, toms, all kinds of stuff.
And most of the incorrect sizes just go to a default across the kits.

What is going on here? Is there a QA problem? Did some update mess stuff up?

Coupled with the complete inability to correct the issues stated above with Tom2 in the metal kit no matter what size, head, shell, etc. I try, this is a bit frustrating.

Edit:

I also tried replacing other kits' toms with the Metal Toms and vice versa. And yes, the Tom 2 issue is the same with the Metal Tom set even if inserted into another kit, while the other kits' toms work fine if inserted into the Metal Kit.
Metalmucil

Postby Metalmucil » Mon Aug 12, 2024 3:01 pm

Another one on the Tom front...
All of the raw Plexi toms are heavily distorted and there is no way I have found to get rid of it.
All except Floor Tom 2, that is. That one is nice and clean for some reason?
The only way to get clean Plexi Toms (barring Floor Tom 2) is though the Room and Overheads?
Is there no way to get clean individual toms for this kit?
Metalmucil

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Aug 12, 2024 3:43 pm

Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues. Have you reported these issues to IK Support via https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/sw ? If not, I'd suggest doing so as they'll be best-equipped to assist you with these issues. Thank you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Metalmucil » Tue Aug 13, 2024 12:07 am

Peter_IK wrote:Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues. Have you reported these issues to IK Support via https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/sw ? If not, I'd suggest doing so as they'll be best-equipped to assist you with these issues. Thank you.

Done and done.

Here I'm mostly concerned with determining if other users are experiencing the same thing.
If other users corroborate, then we can determine where the fundamental issue lies.

So please, Modo Drum users, check for the issues stated above and chime in whether or not they happen for you.

As an aside, these issues happen both in my DAW and using the standalone Modo Drum app.
Metalmucil

Postby Metalmucil » Thu Aug 22, 2024 6:49 am

Been over a week, heard nothing back from support. Emailed again, still nothing.

No one else has had these experiences?
Metalmucil

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Aug 22, 2024 4:51 pm

Metalmucil wrote:Been over a week, heard nothing back from support. Emailed again, still nothing.

No one else has had these experiences?

They typically respond within 1-2 business days. Please check your junk/spam folders and provide your ticket number if you'd like it escalated.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Metalmucil » Wed Oct 09, 2024 1:48 am

Just an update here...

IKM Customer Service has confirmed that there is "something up" with the Metal Toms.

Also, I sent in wav files of the Plexi Toms distortion for them to check out as well. As the distortion only occurs on the soloed channels, not the rooms or overheads.

Unfortunately there is no ETA for a patch/fix as of yet.
Metalmucil

Return to MODO DRUM & MODO BASS