Charging iPad and using iRig products at the same tame

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of iOS music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

Charging iPad and using iRig products at the same tame

Postby Drawbar » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:07 pm

With Apple’s new Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter you are supposedly able to use usb-devices at the same time as you are charging iPad. This happens through the single lightning connector of iPad.

Has anyone tested the adapter with iPad Air 2 and iRig Pro Duo?

If it works, it seems to be a simpler solution than PowerBridge.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2 ... ra-adapter
Drawbar

Re: Charging iPad and using iRig products at the same tame

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:37 pm

I don't see a mention of charging in that product description, interestingly enough. Also, there are many questions in the Q&A about charging that are unanswered so I am not sure - that is a question for Apple as it is their product.

However, if comparing to iRig PowerBridge please note that PowerBridge provides an ultra-low noise audiophile-grade power conditioner which is part of its allure for musicians.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:44 pm

I'm glad it worked for him. Please note the benefit mentioned above with iRig PowerBridge. With power conditioning built in, you have less risk of noise from mains power, grounding issues, or potential bus power noise.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Rayn95 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:50 am

A few post here regarding the https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter, couldn't find solutions.

Its says on the apple site the adapter works with audio interfaces and is compatible with ipad mini2.

When I plug in the iRig hd2 via the new adapter, the power light on comes on but it does not connect to JamUp. below is connections I've tired and the results.

irig hd2 -> micro usb - lightning cable -> ipad -> jamUp -> works fine (love it)

irig hd2 -> micro usb - usb -> Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter USB port -> ipad -> jamUp -> does not work (hd2 light comes on but does not work in jampup)
note: this was the case with or without the a power adapter plugged into the adapters lightning port.

irig hd2 -> micro usb - lightning cable -> Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter Lightning port -> ipad -> jamUp -> does not work (hd2 light does NOT come on, I think the adapter lightning port is for charging not a data connection)

Any ideas on how I can make this work?

I also fired off a similar email to ik support

cheers
Rayn95

Postby beforr » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:22 am

Because of COVID supply chain problems obtaining an iRig Power Bridge, I found that the Apple USB3 Camera + lightning adapter works just fine to charge my iPad 7 while using an iRig HD2 playing into AmpliTube. After allowing the new Apple adapter to accept an update from the iPad, plug a branded Apple charging wire with an Apple 2.4A a/c adapter (the large square Apple charger) into the lightning port of the Camera adapter and get the iPad charging. Then plug your instrument into the HD2 and use the micro USB to USB A wire to connect to the Camera adapter. Plug your HD2 adapter into your amp or PA with 1/4” cable and you should be good to go.

Other posters have suggested that an Apple branded charging wire and A/C adapter are necessary. I haven’t checked that out but you do need at least a 2.1A charger. Any peripherals that require power will be hungry for it. I am currently running with IOS 13.6. If you run into error messages, try changing the sequence above, like connecting all the peripheral wires together first before making the last lightning connection to the iPad.

Others have said you need to add a powered USB bus to power the HD2 but I did not find that necessary with this IOS and charger. The key may be allowing the Camera adapter to receive the firmware update when you first plug it into your device. Hope this helps!
beforr

Postby vadavis@yahoo.com » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:50 pm

beforr wrote:Because of COVID supply chain problems obtaining an iRig Power Bridge, I found that the Apple USB3 Camera + lightning adapter works just fine to charge my iPad 7 while using an iRig HD2 playing into AmpliTube. After allowing the new Apple adapter to accept an update from the iPad, plug a branded Apple charging wire with an Apple 2.4A a/c adapter (the large square Apple charger) into the lightning port of the Camera adapter and get the iPad charging. Then plug your instrument into the HD2 and use the micro USB to USB A wire to connect to the Camera adapter. Plug your HD2 adapter into your amp or PA with 1/4” cable and you should be good to go.

Other posters have suggested that an Apple branded charging wire and A/C adapter are necessary. I haven’t checked that out but you do need at least a 2.1A charger...[SNIP]

I followed the steps above and it worked for me without issue. I tested both the Apple 2.4A adapter/cable and a dollar store 2.1A adapter/cable. Both worked.

Thanks for posting.
vadavis@yahoo.com

Return to iPhone/iPad Apps & Accessories