Irig Pro duo Microphone signal too high?? Why??

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of iOS music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

Irig Pro duo Microphone signal too high?? Why??

Postby Flynner1 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:27 pm

Hi,

Just got my Irig Pro Duo I/O today.
I plugged in to my ipad and powered up fine HOWEVER when I plug in my microphone (RODE NT1-A) the led goes straight to red indicating the signal is too high. The sound is distorted like it is too high BUT the gain is at 0! I've turned phantom power on and the same thing. I tried an SM58 and an AKG and get the same results. Can someone please help? Thanks in advance
Flynner1

Re: Irig Pro duo Microphone signal too high?? Why??

Postby jrees » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:14 pm

That don't sound good....
I have a Pro Duo but have only used it with dynamic mics, nothing that would need phantom power. I'm also not familiar with the Rode NT1A but just checked its specs online and noticed it can run on 24v or 48v phantom power - is there maybe a switch on the mic somewhere to select the power level?
jrees

Postby Flynner1 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:35 pm

Thanks for the reply jrees.

Specs say The NT1-A requires P48 volts OR P24 volts phantom
power but there's no controlling that on the mic itself so I presume that means it will work with devices offering both.

Tried again with the SM58 which is a dynamic mic but still the same problem. I can push gain a little higher (to 2) but again I get the LED in the red. With the Rode its still in the red at 0.

When you use dynamic mics, where roughly is your gain dial set? I cant mine past 2 without the red light of death!!
Flynner1

Postby jrees » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:36 pm

I've never tried to peg an SM58 because my Pro Duo enters the green range with the gain dial no more than halfway. You're talking about the left input on Pro Duo that is red-lighting as soon as you plug in any mic, whether condenser or dynamic, and regardless of the gain dial on that channel or whether Phantom power is on or off? That's definitely not how mine works when using a dynamic mic with an XLR cable. I'd run it by tech support or, if it's new, send it back as defective. Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.
jrees

Postby Flynner1 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:23 pm

I'll try tech support. Thanks for your input though
Flynner1

Return to iPhone/iPad Apps & Accessories