PV Black Diamond280 sour note on C#?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

PV Black Diamond280 sour note on C#?

Postby neutralomen » Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:11 am

I generally enjoy the new Pianoverse library. I'm especially bonding with the Black diamond 280, save for a fly in the soup. The C# right above middle C, does anyone else get this annoying "twang" sour note, almost a sitar-like effect? It's not present for ppp, but anything pp-mf is affected. then f and ff no longer have it. But playing "normally" at a medium dynamic, this C# stands out a lot. it's conspicuous enough to be annoying.

has anyone else experienced this?

IK, this might have been a flaw in the Bosendorfer you modeled, but I still think it's worth fixing.
neutralomen

Re: PV Black Diamond280 sour note on C#?

Postby ski88keys » Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:50 pm

It’s not just Black Diamond. I have the YF3 and there a few notes that are similar to your description. In addition, the top end, around G7 through c8 are super thin. This is not a new problem with IKM pianos. I also had the same problem you are having way back with Miraslov 2’s pianos. I believe it was F# 5 and G5. They both twanged hard, and made it unplayable in live situations. I reported the issue many time on the Miraslov piano. But support said they never found a problem. And if others don’t report it, then there is no problem, as far as support is concerned. Im not bashing support, because they have been GREAT with every other issue I have had. Did you report this to support? I will go in and report my is with the YF3. Maybe there can be an update. One can only wish. Good Luck!
- SampleTank 3 and 4 Max, Total Studio 3, Komplete Ultimate, Studio One 3 Professional, Cantabile, + various sound and effects plug-ins
- I7-4700MQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10
- Kurzweil PC2, MKii 61, Focusrite 2i2
ski88keys

Postby neutralomen » Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:17 am

I sent the support team a detailed report with audio examples. The C# in question on the black diamond is brutal. REALLY makes it infeasible for recording unless I manually punch in a "timbre shifted" C# which obviously is annoying as heck.

And yes I noticed too in the fazioli, the yamaha, there are uneven velocities in the treble. It could be they are "mathematically correct" ie calculated by a robot, but it doesn't translate to the human hand. it doesn't translate to "Feeling" even. It's a shame too because for the file size these are very realistic pianos and make very convincing recordings. [mod redacted - unnecessary and please review the rules]

also, several instruments have some dicey tuning in spots as well. It's cool that it doesn't sound "too perfect," which contributes to the realism, but it shouldn't cross the threshold into unpleasant intonation.

Anyway yeah these pianos need some TLC. I'm really hoping IK supports this library and doesn't just release and abandon it.
neutralomen

Postby ski88keys » Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:20 pm

I just purchased the Diamond 280 and the piano itself sounds out of tune.

Also, I had to reinstall the YF3 and now it sounds better in the upper except for B5 and B6 are super thin. Only when played on a keyboard. Clicking w the mouse on the virtual key bed plays normal. Something is amiss when it’s human input.
- SampleTank 3 and 4 Max, Total Studio 3, Komplete Ultimate, Studio One 3 Professional, Cantabile, + various sound and effects plug-ins
- I7-4700MQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10
- Kurzweil PC2, MKii 61, Focusrite 2i2
ski88keys

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More