Drawbar Settings Recall

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Drawbar Settings Recall

Postby zz@coptox.com » Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:13 pm

For clarity and fours: these posts have been split from the Official Hammond B-3X Wish List! thread, The orignal request, quoted below, remains there too.

info@hongkietan.nl wrote:Maybe I am missing something. I would like to store my own profiles with CC mappings etc. to adapt for different midi controller setups. I do not own one of the Hammond keyboards that have a profile included...

I strongly agree that this feature, DRAWBAR SETTINGS RECALL via MIDI, would be incredibly useful.

SUGGESTION: Allow Midi note-on messages to address the octave below the lowest keys of each manuals where the black keys on the hammond are located.
zz@coptox.com

Re: Split from: Official Hammond B-3X Wish List!

Postby reuelt » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:08 am

info@hongkietan.nl wrote:Maybe I am missing something. I would like to store my own profiles with CC mappings etc. to adapt for different midi controller setups. I do not own one of the hammond keyboards that have a profile included...

You can ALREADY do it if you create and login to a new Windows user (or Mac User) for each midi controller.
reuelt

Postby reuelt » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:42 am

zz@coptox.com wrote:I strongly agree that this feature, DRAWBAR SETTINGS RECALL via MIDI, would be incredibly useful.

SUGGESTION: Allow Midi note-on messages to address the octave below the lowest keys of each manuals where the black keys on the hammond are located.

EASY WORKAROUND,
I do it by duplicating and renaming the preset files
e.g. for Organ "AN TNP" presets
2-0 AN TNP-1 (c#).b3xp
2-1 AN TNP-1 (D).b3xp
2-2 AN TNP-1 (D#).b3xp
2-3 AN TNP-1 (E).b3xp
2-4 AN TNP-1 (F).b3xp
2-5 AN TNP-1 (F#).b3xp
2-6 AN TNP-1 (G).b3xp
2-7 AN TNP-1 (G#).b3xp
2-8 AN TNP-1 (A).b3xp
Then link those files using the B-3x "Program Change Assignment" menu.
So when my MIDI controller is in P2 and one of the 9 buttons are pressed, I can recall
DRAWBAR SETTINGS for "AN TNP" organ pre-sets RECALLED via MIDI
e.g. When I press button #6 of the MIDI keyboard, I will load the "2-5 AN TNP (F#)" drawbar settings (9 button are from 0-8)
I am using TWO M-audio Oxygen Keyboard and the 9 sliders are used to change the drawbar setting any time too.
Top keyboard for top manual, bottom Keyboard for bottom manual and two spare dials for the pedals drawbars.
reuelt

Postby zz@coptox.com » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:04 pm

Hey Ruelet - Appreciate your suggestion. I wouldn't call it a workaround though, since it does not let me access those 11 "live" drawbar presets that live with the currently recalled preset.

I tend to do a lot of manual drawbar changing, based on one or say, two presets (that I load and infrequently recall). The ability to move among the 11 drawbar settings of the currently loaded preset is what I am after.

For the IK Multimedia DEVELOPERS, the coding of a 'midi-note-on event to drawbar recall' feature is likely trivial, especially when compared to the GIANT gain of flexibility, playability, expressivity this modest feature would offer.

PLEASE IK MULTIMEDIA, take note of this post.
zz@coptox.com

Postby reuelt » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:25 am

zz@coptox.com
It works 100% for me.
You missed what I said.
Say your current present is called currentpreset.
YOU have to duplicate the file currentpreset.b3xp file 11 times and name them 11 different names.
Then MIDI Program Change Control can open each one of them
The first one, you click on reversed keys C on upper & lower manual and save
The 2nd one you click on reversed keys C# on upper & lower manual and save ete etc
So i can recall any of the 11 drawbar setting of that preset any time by just any MIDI button

My M-audio oxygen keyboard buttons have P01-P10 banks so any I make those button to recall 10 PRESET's each with 9 drawbar settings.
reuelt

Postby zz@coptox.com » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:49 pm

Hey Reult, You were clear about your workaround, which I do appreciate. The thing that I constantly modify my drawbar settings as I play, usually going between 2 "live" sets ( same as on a real B3 using the Bb and B inverted keys on each manual). On the B3, you have the possibility to go back and forth between (2) different "live" drawbar settings, which you can constantly modify and switch between. The key point is that you would never want to save these drawbar settings. Rather you recall a preset with 12 drawbar settings for each manual, and manually adjust drawbars in the set for the rest of the tune, if not for the whole show. Hope that my use case is clearer now.
zz@coptox.com

Postby reuelt » Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:03 pm

You should NOTE that I intentionally left out C and A# as blanks

So if i want any manual drawbar I will do it on C or A# selection during a live session and even save it if I want to.

I also have two other buttons using CC#126 and CC#127 to save and select any random drawbars I want to save at certain point in time.
reuelt

Postby Steve-xyz » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:04 am

reuelt wrote:
info@hongkietan.nl wrote:I would like to store my own profiles with CC mappings etc. to adapt for different midi controller setups.
You can ALREADY do it if you create and login to a new Windows user . . . for each midi controller.

Having to create and switch to different users just to be able to change CC mappings seems extreme.
Steve-xyz

Postby reuelt » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:27 pm

Steve-xyz wrote:
reuelt wrote:
info@hongkietan.nl wrote:I would like to store my own profiles with CC mappings etc. to adapt for different midi controller setups.
You can ALREADY do it if you create and login to a new Windows user . . . for each midi controller.

Having to create and switch to different users just to be able to change CC mappings seems extreme.

You can alternatively program some of your MIDI controllers profile to have CC mappings identical to any of the following
1. B-3X factory defaults (it is almost identical to NI B4II settings)
or
2. Hammond SK series
or
3. Hammond XK-3
or
4. Hammond XK-5
Or buy
Hammond SK or XK MIDI controllers.

I used m-audio's Enigma.exe to program my two M-Audio Oxygen MIDI controllers to suit B-3X factory defaults. All buttons and sliders can be reassigned CC numbers to suite B3-X.
The different MIDI controller profiles can be saved on PC and loaded at will.
reuelt

Re: Drawbar Settings Recall

Postby Steve-xyz » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:25 pm

I agree. Programming controls (knobs and such) on controllers to match hardware and software or vice versa makes more sense to me than logging in and out of computer accounts. Might be nice if IK had selectable profile maps users could create that matched their gear instead of having to program each piece of gear independently. Maybe they do and I just haven't found it yet?

I am familiar with the Enigma utility. I have v1.1 and v1.2 but haven't used them in 15 years or so. They work with evolution keyboards, but I tend to just use the same banks I set up in the keyboards previously and tweak they keyboards directly as needed.

Thanks for the reminder, though. I might try using Enigma and a spreadsheet to design some IK-specific maps and then just make all my IK products follow a master list.
Steve-xyz

Postby reuelt » Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:34 am

Steve-xyz wrote:I agree. Programming controls (knobs and such) on controllers to match hardware and software or vice versa makes more sense to me than logging in and out of computer accounts. Might be nice if IK had selectable profile maps users could create that matched their gear instead of having to program each piece of gear independently. Maybe they do and I just haven't found it yet?

I am familiar with the Enigma utility. I have v1.1 and v1.2 but haven't used them in 15 years or so. They work with evolution keyboards, but I tend to just use the same banks I set up in the keyboards previously and tweak they keyboards directly as needed.

Thanks for the reminder, though. I might try using Enigma and a spreadsheet to design some IK-specific maps and then just make all my IK products follow a master list.

If you have enigma utility then if you have m-audio Oxygen or Axiom - MIDI controllers with 9 sliders, then there is already a profile already programmed for NI B4II inside (one of P01 to P10). That profile is compatible with the B3-X.
reuelt

Postby Steve-xyz » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:34 am

reuelt wrote:If you have enigma utility then if you have m-audio Oxygen or Axiom - MIDI controllers with 9 sliders, then there is already a profile already programmed for NI B4II inside (one of P01 to P10). That profile is compatible with the B3-X.

Interesting. I thought I deleted all the profiles I didn't need many years ago, but that was on an older computer. Earlier tonight I installed Enigma v1.2 on my current PC and I now have all the default profiles with their default presets.

So I have an NI B4 preset configuration already in the evolution profile. :-) Thanks for the suggestion.
Steve-xyz

Postby reuelt » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:06 pm

B-3X Default MIDI
CC# Parameter

1 Leslie Speed (Fast/Slow)(modulation wheel
7 Master Volume (volume)
11 Expression Pedal/ Swell (expression)
12-20 Upper Manual Drawbars 1-9
21-29 Lower Manual Drawbars 1-9
33 Pedal Drawbar 1
35 Pedal Drawbar 2
36 Percussion On/Off Switch
37 Percussion Volume Switch
38 Vibrato Type
39 Vibrato Great
40 Vibrato Swell
41 Volume
42 Leslie Amplifier Gain
43 Percussion Decay
44 Percussion 2nd/3rd Switch
50 Overscream on
51 EQ PG on
52 Chorus Cl on
53 Spring Reverb on
54 WAH on
55 WAH Pedal
56 Compressor on
57 EQ-81 on
58 Reverb on
64 Sustain
93 Leslie Brake

So If you have one midi-controller you will need to program say P01 for upper manual and P02 for lower manual.
In P02, the sliders are set to 21-29 for Lower Manual Drawbars 1-9 instead.

If you have two manuals, the lower manual preset, the sliders are set to 21-29 for Lower manual BUT all sliders and buttons must be EXPLICITLY defined to MIDI channel 1 since B2-X CC only respond to MIDI channel 1 (default).
reuelt

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More