best way to manage and back up IK libraries?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

best way to manage and back up IK libraries?

Postby funhat » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:19 pm

i already have 2 libraries for syntronik with 88 & 34 days left for download, and now 4 new modo drum libraries, with 180 days left for download.
i understand that after this time period ends, one has to get the reactivation credit to download the content again, but how to avoid this?
i downloaded the new libraries today. just by pressing on "download" in product manager, it downloads a dmg (i'm on mac) and installs the libraries automatically. i don't have the .dmg in my downloads folder.

i'd like to just back these up myself, but don't really understand what i have to back up in the 1st place? and also how the installation and registration would work in the future if i install the libraries from my backup and not from product manager?

any tips, or best practices or experiences would be highly appreciated
funhat

Re: best way to manage and back up IK libraries?

Postby DarkStar » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:54 pm

You can just back up all the files from the IKPM "downloads" folder. (this may not be your main downloads folder). IKPM does not delete the downloaded files after installation; that is so you can back them up then remove them.

If you need to reinstall you can just copy the file back into the IKPM "downloads" folder.

Or, just back up the complete installed libraries. That's what I have done. With the occasional update when I create new presets.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Trensharo » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:01 am

Install everything and then backup the entire content directory. IMO, that's the best way. That way, you won't have to go through the trouble of installing all the content. You just install the Instruments/Plug-ins and set it to whatever content directory you want.

You should do this on an External SSD. There is just too much content for a slow HDD. It will take forever to copy over if you ever have to move put it on a different system/drive.
Trensharo

Postby funhat » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:00 am

thank you both!
funhat

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More