Reinstalling from already downloaded libraries

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Reinstalling from already downloaded libraries

Postby Ireground » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:13 pm

Hi.
I've already installed all libraries from Sampletank and other IK apps on my desktop, and I copied all the downloaded install files on a folder on an external HD. Now I want to reinstall everything on my laptop without having to re-download everything. My question is, if I point to that folder in IK's product manager on my laptop BEFORE installing the libraries, will it use the files on the HD or will it re-download everything?
OR, can I just copy the whole IK sounds folder (not the folder with the dowloaded files, the folder with the files arleady extracted and installed) and point to that folder in every IK application that uses those sounds. The reason why I'm asking this is that maybe the IK installer installs other stuff, like presets or whatever in other folders. I just don't want to re-download everything, it takes forever (understandable, it's about 350 Gig).

Thanks
Ireground

Re: Reinstalling from already downloaded libraries

Postby DarkStar » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:09 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.

In your position I would try the second approach first.

Copy the complete library folder from the desktop to the laptop. Install the IKPM on the laptop, and use it to install and Authorize the software only. I think that other files (FX presets, patterns etc) are installed (in Documents/IK Multimedia/...) during the software installation. Point the software to the sounds library folder.

You may need to do a "Restore my purchases" in the Custom Shop too.

Otherwise, you should be able to put the downloaded library .zip files in the downloads folder on the laptop, select that folder in the iKPM, then for each library, click on "... more options", then "Reinstall library" (having set the "Install to"" folder first).

IK Product Manager user manual wrote:7.3.1 – “Install To…” button
Click on the “Install to...” button to open an OS dialog and select a different installation path for your Sound product. Your Sound library will be installed into the new directory. Once process is completed, a pop-up notification will inform you with a confirmation message.

7.3.2 – “Reinstall Library” button
Click on the “Reinstall Library” button to start the download and installation process again. If the previously downloaded Sound library has not been manually deleted and is still present on the machine, the download manager will simply copy the folder into the default library path. If the downloaded content is no longer available on the machine, the download manager will start the download from the beginning and the progress bar will
appear.

----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Ireground » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:30 pm

Yes, I think I will go with the second option. My only doubt was if there was stuff outside that folder that IK apps needed to find. I'll do that. Install only the apps then point to the IK Sounds folder from within the apps.
Thanks.
Ireground

Postby DarkStar » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:00 pm

DarkStar wrote:I think that other files (FX presets, patterns etc) are installed (in Documents/IK Multimedia/...) during the software installation.

;)
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby Ireground » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:26 pm

You did mention that in your post. Sorry, read it fast.
If I also copy my "Downloaded Files" folder on my external HD, set it in the preferences in IKPM, do you know if IKPM will still download the main installation apps, or just scan the folder, find them there and just install them without downloading? Even the apps are about 10 GB if I remember correctly.
Edit: The installer files in the "Downloaded Files" folder are all up to date. Updated everything this morning.

Thanks
Ireground

Postby DarkStar » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:58 pm

Don't know. :) Give it a go with one zip file.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby Ireground » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:42 pm

Will do. I'll let you know.
Ireground

Postby Ireground » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:03 pm

It works. So if you want to save the download time or bandwidth:
1- Copy your "Downloaded Files" folder to your external HD (if you've had the apps installed for a while, you'll probably have several versions of the apps in that folder. For example, I had Amplitube 5.1.2, 5.1.3 or something like that. SO if you want to save a bit of extra time copying the files, just copy the latest version).
2- In the IKPM on or new computer set that folder as the "downloaded files" folder in preferences.
3- Install the app normally from IKPM and it should detect the downloaded files in that folder
Ireground

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More