SampleTron 2 library location problem

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

SampleTron 2 library location problem

Postby urbaneric » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:14 pm

[These posts have been split out into their own thread, for clarity and focus]

I have the SAME EXACT Problem [Mod edit: regarding Samples and Presets] (except that I am running Mojave, not Catalina):

Basically, in the install, I selected a different drive for the Samples.

But it looks like it installed the Samples and Presets in different folders. No matter where I put them, and redirect the location in the settings, the content and presets are blank in the window of the plugin.

Any suggestions on what to try?
urbaneric

Re: SampleTron 2 now available

Postby DarkStar » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:00 pm

They are in separate folders. Here is the folder hierarchy here:

The green arrow points to the folder selected in STron II's Sound Content.

There are over 400 tracks sampled from vintage Mellotrons, Chamberlins, Optigans and other rare pieces And 101 factory presets, users can build their own presets which can load three tracks to split, layer and solo from over 400 available.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby urbaneric » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:51 pm

DarkStar, Happy New Year and I appreciate the quick response.
I am on mac (as stated @ Mojave in response to other mac user running Catalina).
Your instructions are for PC.

No worries, I figured out a workaround. My sounds are on an external drive (it's a massive 14TB USB3). This is why I was having a problem - if I had everything on the mac internal/system drive, then everything would be in the user/shared/IK Multimedia folder and Sampletank would be able to find everything no problem. This is probably the way to go for most mac users.

For those more adventurous mac users that throw libraries on external drives, you need a few more steps. IK samples and synth products are storage hogs and Apple sucks with limited ability to upgrade internal/system drives, so I am sure this is a common problem for mac user that have the Max or large library bundles.

Simply telling Sampletank where to look for content is the correct troubleshooting step, but not 100% complete. It appears that Sampletank's sound management and internal database is unable to search/scan/catalog sub-directories. This is probably by design to improve load times and simplify sample management.

My workaround was to create a duplicate of the SampleTron library from ExternalDrive/IK Multimedia/Samples/Sampletron 2/ to ExternalDrive/IK Multimedia/Samples/Sampletron 2/Samples/Sampletron 2. Doing this wastes 8.4 GB space and is probably really dumb, but it seems to be where Sampletank is looking for the samples, so it works. Plus I have plenty of space on the external to spare. :)
urbaneric

Postby DarkStar » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:32 pm

True,that screenshot is Windows 7, but the general folder hierarchy is the same, starting from the folder that I named "SampleTron II". Also, have a look at: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?id=1239 At the moment, there are no equivalent FAQs for SampleTron 2 or Syntronik 2.

There should not be any need for duplicates. Just to check - what path is specified in SampleTank 4 for the SampleTron 2 library? Here I have:

Note that it is pointing at "L:\IK Multimedia\SampleTron II", the top-level folder in the hierarchy
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby urbaneric » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:32 pm

I'll give it a try, it might clean things up for me.
You are correct, same concept for mac using any external drive.
urbaneric

Postby urbaneric » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:23 pm

Interesting result. I have Total Studio Max 3.5.
Sampletank 3 and 4 libraries (including Syntronik 2 and Miroslav) work as ExternalHD/IK Multimedia/Sampletank 3/ and ExternalHD/IK Multimedia/Sampletank 4/ without any issues.
When I try to use ExternalHD/IK Multimedia/Sampletron 2 it will not work, in fact Sampletron tells me that is specifically looking for files at ExternalHD/IK Multimedia/Sampletron 2/Samples/Sampletron 2/Samples.

Simply duplicating (8.3gb folder) a copy of everything works fine and Sampletron sees everything automatically.
Rebuilding the database in Sampletank 4 does not fix this.

Not sure if this a Mac only or External only issue. My samples/IK folder is pretty huge @ 500gb or so, plus overhead, plus needing room to expand some day, plus needing the space for the downloads/installers, so moving everything to an Internal drive is a non starter.

Not a big deal for me, I am just reporting unexpected behavior. With the 2x copy of only Sampletron, everything "just works" and I have this running fine on 2015 MBP Mojave and 2020 M1 Mini with Big Sur.

Eventually I will get a 2021 MBP M1 but in all likelihood will not be able to afford enough big internal HD on that machine to ever run all IK, NI, or Spectrasonics full libraries, as they all take up pretty massive amounts of space.
urbaneric

Postby DarkStar » Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:13 pm

Exactly what path is listed in SampleTron 2's Preferences / Sound Content?

And what paths do you have in SampleTank 4?

How to post images
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby urbaneric » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:23 pm

just like I stated. The name of my external drive is called "Motivator".
/Volumes/Motivator/IK Multimedia/Sampletank 3
/Volumes/Motivator/IK Multimedia/Sampletank 4
/Volumes/Motivator/IK Multimedia/Sampletron 2

It works fine this way, but ONLY if I make a 2nd copy of the Sampletron data and nest it 2 directories down here:
/Volumes/Motivator/IK Multimedia/Sampletron 2/Samples/Sampletron 2/

Once I make the 2nd (redudandt) copy, everything works fine. If not, I get errors that it can't find in the directory:
/Volumes/Motivator/IK Multimedia/Sampletron 2/Samples/Sampletron 2/Samples (insert .apk name of the missing sample Sampletron can't locate here)

Sampletron will not look in the higher level directory. Again, it's working fine and I don't care about wasting 8gb space.
urbaneric

Postby DarkStar » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:37 pm

Sorry I was not clear. I understand about the folder locations on disk. I was asking about the path in SampleTron 2's Preferences. Here I have:
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby urbaneric » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:39 pm

Ah, my apologies.
In Sampletron 2 App, the content directory is:
/Volumes/Motivator/IK Multimedia/Sampletron 2
urbaneric

Postby DarkStar » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:12 pm

Well, that looks OK. I must say that I am now stumped :)
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby urbaneric » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:29 pm

No worries, the workaround is fine. My ask and hope is that you guys focus on 1. Mac M1 native compatibility and 2. Continue making awesome stuff so I can upgrade when you have a crazy upgrade deal/sale on Total Studio Max 4 or 5 or whatever next year...LOL.....
urbaneric

Re: SampleTron 2 library location problem

Postby klagross » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:41 am

I am on windows, but I had the same problem but when i select the Library folder, meaning the folder where you installed the Library to, it works for me without any need for copies of files or anything. maybe it will work on Mac as well. Cheers
klagross

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More