Miroslav Philharmonic 2 and Cubase expression maps problem

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Miroslav Philharmonic 2 and Cubase expression maps problem

Postby Jeff367 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:51 am

I'm trying to use Miroslav Philharmonik keyswitch instruments with Cubase expression maps. I put together a map for one of the instruments (Viola) and I'm trying it on a MIDI track that switches between various articulations. The problem I'm having is that the the articulations are not switching on time. For example, if I have 2 staccato notes followed by 2 tremolo notes, I'm hearing 3 staccato notes followed by 1 tremolo note. Basically, the tremolo keyswitch arrives too late to switch the sound.

Without using expression maps, the solution is simple, just put the keyswitch note slightly ahead of the real note in the piano roll. But I want to use expression map because it's so much more convenient. How do I fix this issue?
Jeff367

Re: Miroslav Philharmonic 2 and Cubase expression maps probl

Postby Promidi » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:58 am

As far as Miroslav Philharmonic 2, a MIDI note is a MIDI note. Whether it's a note for a keyswitch or actual played notes, it will trigger at the exact time you send it. Any synth that uses keyswitches for the articulations will behave the same.

Within Cubase, can you not simply place the expression map slightly before the played note to activate the required keyswitch?
Promidi

Postby Jeff367 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:50 am

Thank you for the reply, Promidi. Yes, you are right that keyswitches are just MIDI notes, but the entire expression map feature essentially exists to essentially hide that fact and make keyswitches more convenient to use.

As far as placing expression map just slightly earlier, I could do that for some articulations but not for others. In Cubase there are 2 types of articulations: Directions and Attributes. Directions articulations are not tied to the note and can be place anywhere and are enforced until another direction comes up (for example, pizzicato). Attribute articulations are tied to notes (like staccato) and cannot be moved. Basically, this is consistent with how regular sheet music notation works. Yes, I could change the expression map and make all articulations of Directions type (violating the notation conventions is not the end of the world, I guess), and then I could insert the expressions just slightly ahead of the MIDI notes. But all of this sounds like workarounds and hacks rather than legitimate solutions.

What stumps me is that I created a similar expression map for the EastWest Hollywood Orchestra VST and there the keyswitches work fine. Also, a number of articles online about creating Cubase expression maps for keyswitch instruments never mention this problem with other instruments. It just sounds like MP2 simply doesn't play nice with expression maps.

That's why I posted here rather than on a Steinberg forum to see if I'm the only one with this problem. Although, I might post there just in case anyway.
Jeff367

Postby Danix78 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:53 pm

No, you are not the only one :(
Danix78

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More