SampleTank 3 CS: Cannot get correct output from drums MIDI

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

SampleTank 3 CS: Cannot get correct output from drums MIDI

Postby garrettendi » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:31 pm

Hi

I have an e-drum kit (Alesis Forge) which works great with the USB MIDI out into my DAW and also in my drum VSTs, but when connected to SampleTank 3 CS with the kit samples on Channel 10, it only sounds a hit 10% or so of the time.

I can confirm that the MIDI coming out of the kit is 100% fine, but even when I record the MIDI and then try and use that pre-recorded MIDI into SampleTank I still have the exact same problem. I can also confirm that this is not a latency issue, nor an issue with thresholds and sensivity in the kit. It's definitely an issue in SampleTank 3 CS. Switching the channels, and adjusting the MIDI map also makes no difference. What is also interesting is the square on SampleTank that indicates a MIDI signal lights up with every hit, but the signal meter on the right only lights up when a sound is played, roughly once for every 10 hits of the kit.

Is this a limitation in the free version of SampleTank? I can reproduce this issue in both the standalone and plugin versions.
garrettendi

Re: SampleTank 3 CS: Cannot get correct output from drums MI

Postby garfy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:01 pm

Hi garrettendi

I'm pretty sure that this isn't a limitation of the CS version (although someone may correct me).

Well, I would check the following:

1) If you change the drum kit for (say) a piano does the same thing happen? i.e. it doesn't it play 'all the notes'
2) If you trigger ST3CS drums with a MIDI keyboard does the same thing happen?

If your triggers play the piano fine and if (like you say) your DAW is recording MIDI fine, then it's got me stumped.

If I were you I would put a ticket into support using the following link and they will give you some one to one help. http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby DarkStar » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:20 pm

When you say "roughly once for every 10 hits of the kit" do you mean 1 in 10 hits of the same drum kit piece? Or hits of different drum kit pieces?

Also, try triggering the sounds in ST3 from its own virtual keyboard. Do you get all the sounds you expect?

And, can you export a problem recorded MIDI item form your DAW and upload it somewhere so we can try it out? Please indicate which notes play the correct sound and which do not or are silent.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby garrettendi » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:23 pm

The notes trigger fine from the virtual keyboard without any problems. As for the e-kit I mean 1 in every 10 hits of the same drum.

So for ever 10 hits of the snare, it only plays the snare sound once or twice. The same applies to all the other drum pads.

If I get a chance to in the coming weeks, I'll see if I can get a simple MIDI file with just the snare and let you know which work and which don't.

I'll also see if my digital piano can trigger the drum sounds, although it is worth noting I had no issues with my digital piano controlling the piano samples.
Last edited by garrettendi on Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garrettendi

Postby garfy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:24 pm

Another thought...

Could it be that polyphony is set too low?
garfy

Postby garrettendi » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:25 pm

garfy wrote:Another thought...

Could it be that polyphony is set too low?

That idea did not occur to me. Do you mean the polyphony of the kit or SampleTank? I ask as the kit works fine in my DAW straight and with other VSTs
garrettendi

Postby garfy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:29 pm

In SampleTank...

Make sure you have the drum kit highlighted in the Play page and then click onto the Edit page. Pretty much the first control will be polyphony.

This is a real long shot as polyphony would have to be down to only 1 or 2 and you would have to be playing really (REALLY) fast, but stranger things have happened.
garfy

Postby garrettendi » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:30 pm

Yes, I'm not playing fast at all. At the moment hitting the drums at 60 bpm, once a beat is generating the problem.
garrettendi

Postby DarkStar » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:03 pm

^^^^
And what happens if you click repeatedly / quickly on D1 on ST3's virtual keyboard?

Polyphony on the kits is set to 32 I think, but you can bump it up on the Edit page. Repeated quick hits on the virtual keyboard or my MIDI keyboard are OK here.

PS I think I recall that the MIDI Ch number on the Play page gets a red background if the voice limit is exceeded. And the Polyphony number on the Edit page gets a ! after it (click the number to remove the !).
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More