Using 2 controllers with the Hammond B-3X

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Re: Using 2 controllers with the Hammond B-3X

Postby DarkStar » Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:20 pm

If the keys move then the MIDI notes are reaching B-3X.

ASIO Setting? This is relevant for that stand-alone B-3X program (not the plug-in). Have a look at the B-3X User Guide 2.1.1. Here I have:

And to control the drawbars, make sure that the MIDI CC messages generated by your controllers are mapped to the B-3X parameters (User Guide 2.6):
Why cannot you map all the drawbars to the controllers?

---------------------
As Promidi suggested it would help if you could Record the MIDI from your keyboard in a DAW (e.g. Logic Pro) so see if there is anything odd there.

To post images / screenshots: https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27252
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby smythrocks1 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:59 pm

Thank you,

I'm at work at for the time being. That being said I was able to back and map the drawbars to what the midi controllers display. I did that for both controllers.

Interesting that when I move any of the drawbars, both of them move. For example if I move the 1st drawbar on the lower manual (88 key controller midi1) both number 1 drawbars move. Works the same if I pull or push a drawbar on the top controller, both software drawbars of the same number move. Sure, they both use the same CC number. What I don't understand though is that I have the second (top) midi controller set at Midi channel 2 which should change the top or swell manual on the Hammond. The bottom controller is channel 1. I have the midi set up to "ANY".

I will check ASIO when I get home but pretty sure that's what is set.

So back to you statement. I don't understand if the keys are moving why the sound gets chopped and stops.
smythrocks1

Postby DarkStar » Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:30 pm

smythrocks1 wrote:Interesting that when I move any of the drawbars, both of them move. For example if I move the 1st drawbar on the lower manual (88 key controller midi1) both number 1 drawbars move. Works the same if I pull or push a drawbar on the top controller, both software drawbars of the same number move. Sure, they both use the same CC number.

It looks like MIDI CC control in B-3X ignores the MIDI channel. So MIDI CC message #55 (for example) will change all drawbars mapped to that number. You should use different ranges of CC numbers for the Upper and Lower drawbars.

I think that it is done this way as some MID keyboards can be split into two zones - notes in the lower zone are sent on one channel and notes in the upper zone are sent on another. But the CC messages are all on the same channel. And, on many MIDI keyboards you can change the CC number assigned to the hardware knobs / sliders.

smythrocks1 wrote:So back to your statement. I don't understand if the keys are moving why the sound gets chopped and stops.

Me, neither :)
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby smythrocks1 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:38 pm

So if that were true... If in fact the B-3x ignores midi channels, then I would NOT be able to use two separate controllers which is what I wanted to do in the first place - this better emulates playing a duo manual organ (Hammond or otherwise)

With regards to changing the controllers in the Arturia Keylabs 88 MkII... Is this something I can actually do in their software?

I've got to believe that other players can use two separate controllers and a physical pedal to control the B-3x via midi. I do understand the need to change the CC number range for the drawbars.
smythrocks1

Postby DarkStar » Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:44 pm

I meant that it seems that B-3X ignores the MIDI channel for MIDI CC (and Program Change?) messages, but uses the channels for processing MIDI notes.

Changing the controller assignments on the keyboards is certainly possible. I think that you can do it on the keyboard itself but It looks like the "MIDI Control Center" software makes it much easier.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby smythrocks1 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:08 pm

Midi Control Center - that's it. I couldn't think of the name off the top of my bald head. I really want this software to behave. (my opinion) I think this rendition is absolutely spot on. I think this is the best emulation of a Leslie out all the clones I've played, both hardware based and synth based. I wish it had a few more choices but no big deal.

Getting back to the B-3x midi issues. I did change the midi output on my Nord to channel 3 and changed the midi channel for the upper manual in the B-3x to 3. The Nord was able to send midi off on notes if you know what I mean. Still have the problem of sound dropping off. It's sounds like it's clipping but really isn't. I have no problem if I only use one controller

Reed
smythrocks1

Postby DarkStar » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:23 pm

smythrocks1 wrote: I have no problem if I only use one controller

??? Can you clarify what you mean by this? And under what circumstances does the sound level drop off.

Remember that Volume and Expression are also controlled by MIDI CC messages. Maybe your keyboards are sending those (or others) too. Hence the suggestion to Record the MIDI in a DAW and have a close look at it.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby smythrocks1 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:34 pm

Hi DarkStar,

When attempting to use both controllers (I save you the time of reading my setup again) When I play several keys or chords on either keyboards, within about 5 seconds either "choppy" sound like clipping and then no sound. When I setup and only use one controller there are no problems. When I get home I'm going to switch out my Focusrite for my older NI audio interface and take a a look at the cc for volume and expression as well. I'm sure this is something stupid.

I haven't recorded anything with a DAW in years so not quite sure how to check for midi. Sorry. I sold most of my hardware based synths to be replaced by software synths, a new computer is on the way and THEN I am hoping to lay down some tracks either in Digital Performer or Logic Pro (haven't decided which).

I appreciate your help!

Reed
smythrocks1

Postby DarkStar » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:03 pm

I do not think that changing the audio interface will help.

It sounds more like some sort of clash between the MIDI coming from two keyboard controllers at once. And, when you find the cause, it'll be a "D'oh!" moment :)

I cannot help with Digital Performer or Logic Pro, but if are currently considering them you might like to have a look at Reaper too. Lightweight, fast, very configurable.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby smythrocks1 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:41 pm

Darkstar,

I was successful in changing the CCs in the Arturia software app. That allowed me to control the drawbars independently which is a good start.

I'm still experiencing the sound stopping. I looked for the "Technology" field in the set up but it is not there. Mine starts with the audio interface type.

Reed
smythrocks1

Postby DarkStar » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:54 pm

Some progress made ... good :)

As for the missing Technology field, can you post a screenshot?

To post images / screenshots: https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27252
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby smythrocks1 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:05 pm

Yes, some progress and I'm learning more things about MIDI than I knew before with regards to midi controller commands - so I thank you for that.

I have to look up how to do screen prints on a Mac. lol

I use a windows based laptop at work and have software that I've purchased because I do a lot of technical training for SAP at our warehouses.

enjoy your day

Reed
smythrocks1

Previous

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More