Trying to decide: Reason, Sampletank or Kontakt

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Trying to decide: Reason, Sampletank or Kontakt

Postby Garven » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:39 am

Hi folks.

I used to be very into MIDI and home recording with multitrack cassette, etc. as a hobby, back in the 80's but got away from it. I'm getting back into it now and looking to invest a few dollars in some software.

I'm comfortable with audio software since I do a lot of digitizing vinyl records and audio restoration so I have a decent array of VSTs, editors such as Adobe Audition and iZotope RX, and also have Reaper for a DAW. I play electric and acoustic guitar and have an interface (Steinberg UR44) for recording. I also have a small M-Audio mini keyboard as a controller plus an old Korg M1 I may press back into duty as a MIDI controller, or possibly sell and invest in a new full-sized controller keyboard.

What I don't have and want to get is a good set of samples, instruments, loops, patterns, etc. These are mainly for rhythm section, piano, pads, etc. It's only for hobby purposes, nothing professional or live.

I find myself trying to decide which of the following to choose: Reason 10, Sampletank 4 or Kontakt 6. Reason and Kontakt are roughly the same price whereas Sampletank 4 Max is about $100 cheaper until March 5.

I've been leaning towards Reason since its 30-day trial gives me access to the complete set of sounds, loops, patterns, etc. whereas the free versions of Sampletank and Kontakt don't really give me an idea of everything they include (yes, I've checked out the lists of instruments available for download for them).

I'm wondering if I should just pull the trigger on buying Reason since it seems to have everything I need and some interesting possibilities to add as refills (the piano bass and drums refill for example). Or, would I be better off grabbing Sampletank and using it with Reaper. It seems to come with some loops and patterns plus there are lots around the net for free or reasonably priced. Kontakt seems a bit more elusive but some of the comments I've read around the net seem to indicate it sounds better than Sampletank.

Obviously this is a Sampletank forum so I guess I'm looking for your take on why Sampletank would be a better choice for me. Thanks
Garven

Re: Trying to decide: Reason, Sampletank or Kontakt

Postby jggrant » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:26 am

Of those choices, I would definitely go for ST4 for pianos, strings and orchestral. Probably a lot more too, but I have less knowledge of other areas.
jggrant

Postby jonfog » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:04 pm

Reason is a DAW, U record MIDI and Audio with it.
I got both ST and Reason.
Reason is funny because of the patching U can do with a "hardware feel" to it.
Kontakt is comparable to ST.
jonfog

Postby etotman » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:02 am

I second the vote for ST4. While Kontakt has the best selection by far, when you consider all of the libraries available for purchase, the interface itself is really bad. It hasn't changed all that much in many years, and it's very frustrating to use IMHO. ST4 on the other hand is very easy and intuitive. The sounds are of great quality too. I can't speak to Reason since I use Live.
etotman

Postby LoopyFruit » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:04 am

Have you considered Halion Sonic 3 or Halion 6?
LoopyFruit

Postby AAlessandro » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:28 pm

I own SampleTank 3 (full version), SampleTank 4 SE, Miroslav Philarmonik 2 CE and Syntronik (full version but thinking to upgrade to Deluxe). For a few hundred bucks I have a comprehensive collection of all the instruments I will ever need (I'm a professional full-time keyboard player).

The quality of the ST instruments is high. Kontakt is superior IMO, but you have to consider that to get the same amount of sounds from Kontakt you have to spend much more, in the 4-digit $$$$ range, because you may want to add several libraries to the included selection of sounds.

I believe that where IK Multimedia really shines is Syntronik. I compared it side by side to Native Instruments' Retro Machine and Arturia's Analog Lab and I think Syntronik is far better, once I begin I just can't stop playing those amazing synth sounds.

I hope this helps. Cheers

P.S. if a 4-octave keyboard is enough for you, you can get an amazing bundle of software if you purchase the iRig Keys I/O 49 (I just got one myself).
Last edited by AAlessandro on Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AAlessandro

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:39 pm

People should really spend some time with SampleTank 4 and then this perception of quality will soon change drastically. SampleTank 4 sounds amazing, like a user said ""So far, I have to say the new sample content is about the best I have ever heard."So far, I have to say the new sample content is about the best I have ever heard."
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Merejo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:37 pm

I've tried all three and the winner is, The one that makes the best quality sound the moment I need it.
Each one of these samplers is a different musical instrument for me. However, Sampletank has opened a new world for me.
Merejo

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More