How to manage all the different softwares together

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

How to manage all the different softwares together

Postby janneberg » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:14 am

Hi

I am totally new to this forum, so I hope you excuse that my question is very basic.

I have now all kinds of softwares from IKM e.g SampleTank all kind of older versions, Syntronik 1.2, Amplitube different kind of old versions, T-Racks 5 different versions, Modo Bass, Miroslav Philharmonik and on it goes

Now I have purchased/was given Following: Total Studio Max 2, SampleTank 4 Max and they includes other versions such as T-RackS 5 Total Studio MAX 2,SampleTank 3 Total Studio MAX 2, AmpliTube 4 Total Studio MAX 2, Miroslav Philharmonik 2 and on it goes.

How to handle this?
Do I have to keep all old versions or can I update to the newest only?
It is very confusing and takes for ever to install, and I am losing control sometimes, and most difficult my Mac Book Pro is getting out of memory even if I delete every instal file afterwards.

How to handle this in the most and best way?

Should I remove everything and intall what is really needed only or is there any other way.

I will of course move all data to a external hard drive to minimise the memory need on my MacBook Pro.

Sorry for the long question, but I am lost right now

Janne
janneberg

Re: How to manage all the different softwares together

Postby garfy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:54 pm

Hello janneberg and welcome to the forum.

The Total Studio 2 versions you can see are just the same as the ones you may have previously installed. It will only let you have one 'whole number version' of each installed anyway but it is always best to install the most up-to-date version.

For example, you can have SampleTank 3 and SampleTank 4 installed on the same machine. It's not necessary as the ST3 content can be opened in ST4, but if you have old projects that still use ST3 it is beneficial.

There is no need to have T-RackS5 versions 5.0 and 5.1.1 installed on the same machine (and I'm not sure that you can anyway).

In your User Area the red download on the right-hand side are always the most recent versions. You should be able to see that 'AmpliTube 4' and 'AmpliTube 4 Total Studio Max' are both showing the same version numbers. This is because they are the same app.

As for the sound content, yes there is a lot of it. An external or secondary drive is useful if you are running out of space on your main OS drive.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby janneberg » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:37 pm

Thank you Garfy for your answer.

A few follow up questions.

Since I feel so confused about all the different files and versions and locations on my Laptop do you think the best would be to uninstall everything and install the Max packages again to get a good order and new start? All my projects can be deleted.

When I install the first time, will I be asked where I want the sounds and other sources to be installed and select my external disc as location?

Would this be the absolute best way?

Really nice to answer a new membes simple question, but at the same time I need to do the same with all my other software e.g NI Komplete, Omnisphere, Logic and all other, so if I look at the total view it is almost a to big to rearrange all the installations amd large sources of sounds and so on.

Would it be the best soultion do you think to uninstall all of them and start from beginning or is there a simple way to move all their resources to the external hard disc at the same time as with IK Multimedias?

Thanks in advance for your help
Janne

Janne
janneberg

Postby garfy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:01 pm

janneberg wrote:Since I feel so confused about all the different files and versions and locations on my Laptop do you think the best would be to uninstall everything and install the Max packages again to get a good order and new start? All my projects can be deleted.

Well, I guess that would be the cleanest way of doing it and it would certainly give you a clearer picture of what you have on your system. With IK software you should use the official uninstaller that comes with each app download.

janneberg wrote:When I install the first time, will I be asked where I want the sounds and other sources to be installed and select my external disc as location?

Yes, in the case of the IK software which is based on samples - SampleTank, Miroslav and Syntronik. MODO Bass, T-RackS and AmpliTube are all based on physical modelling and so have a smaller footprint and no additional content. It is best in most cases to install the app/program on your OS drive and then have additional content on an external drive.

janneberg wrote:Would this be the absolute best way?

In your case, if you have a small OS drive, it is pretty much the only way if you want to use the sample-based software.

janneberg wrote:Really nice to answer a new membes simple question, but at the same time I need to do the same with all my other software e.g NI Komplete, Omnisphere, Logic and all other, so if I look at the total view it is almost a to big to rearrange all the installations amd large sources of sounds and so on.

Would it be the best soultion do you think to uninstall all of them and start from beginning or is there a simple way to move all their resources to the external hard disc at the same time as with IK Multimedias?

I don't have any experience with Omnisphere so I can't comment on that. It does depend on how confident you are with moving data around and then repointing the apps to their respective content. When I moved my Kontakt libraries I looked at the FAQs on NI's site for information and it will probably be the same for anything else you move. The main thing is to make sure you are only moving sound content, samples etc and not the main workings of the app and to keep a note of pathways you move it too, so you can point the app to the correct place.

One caveat - Since Logic version 10.4.2, there is the ability to move the sound content to an external drive via the Sound Library Manager in the program so you should do that from there, as it will then set up its own link to its content.

I guess my only other piece of advice would be to take it slowly, so you don't lose something along the way. Don't expect it to be done in an hour.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby janneberg » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:12 pm

Thanks for the recommendations.

I will take the time it takes as you said.

I hope I can help you with somethings in the future

All the best
Janne
janneberg

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More