SampleTron with GarageBand 10.2?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

SampleTron with GarageBand 10.2?

Postby arlingtonhynes » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:22 am

After a moderate struggle I've got this thing installed. To be precise, what was actually shipped to me was "Total Workstation XL Bundle", though SampleTron is what I ordered from Amazon.

I have two issues:

1. The standalone SampleTron thing can't be used with a MIDI keyboard. The keyboard works perfectly with GarageBand. In the preferences, I told it to use the same MIDI input as GB. If I play the little tiny screen keyboard in the UI with the mouse, I hear sounds. They're unusable (no attack or release -- presumably there's a hidden setting somewhere), but at least they're audible.

2. In GarageBand, I create a software instrument and click the "knob" button for settings. Everything I read about this online says to click the "i button". There's no "i button" (I've seen screenshots, and I remember that version of the UI; this isn't it). There's a "Vintage Electric Piano" button, which shows a menu that lets me choose among "AU Generators", "AU Instruments", etc -- but every option under those menus has "Apple" on it. None are IK.

I can click on "Audio FX" and get a menu with an "Audio Units" submenu at the bottom. That submenu has an IK Multimedia submenu full of unintelligibly named options that cause error messages if selected.

IK claims this product works with GarageBand, but I know all about the kinds of things software marketing people say. Is that claim obsolete? What's the return policy?
arlingtonhynes

Re: SampleTron with GarageBand 10.2?

Postby garfy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:59 pm

Hello arlingtonhynes and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, I can't help with some of the specifics that you have asked, but I can tell you that SampleTron is a 32-bit plugin and Garageband v.10 will only work with 64-bit plugins.

SampleTron is classed as a legacy product as far as I can tell from IK product site, but if you raise a ticket with official support they will hopefully offer some suggestions as to why you are having trouble using it as standalone. http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/

There is a method of using the SampleTron sound sets in the latest version of SampleTank 3 which will will work in the current version of GarageBand, but I would suggest you speak to support to ensure that everything has been installed correctly before starting down another path.

Good luck, let us know how you get on in case other users have similar issues.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby arlingtonhynes » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:25 am

32 bit only, huh. I decided to try Cubase LE, hoping it would be less goofy than GarageBand. On installing it, I find that only 64 bit plugins are supported there as well.

Dandy. Well, I contacted IK support when we were trying to get this mess installed, and it took them a week to respond with what amounted to a blank look. By that time we'd had it installed (though non-functional, of course) for a week already.

But I'll give them another try.

Thanks.
arlingtonhynes

Postby Ryan_IK » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:00 pm

Hey Guys,

Sorry to hear of all the troubles here.

arlingtonhynes, I do see that you have a new reply from our support team. Be sure to check this out. This should contain steps on using your legacy SampleTron sounds in SampleTank 3 CS. This will get you working with your sounds in your new 64-bit DAWs.

As for your second question/point on getting started in GarageBand with SampleTank 3. Please be sure to address this in your support ticket. Our rep should be able to help you get started here. SampleTank 3 and GarageBand should work well together.

Now, I see that you did not mean to order the 'Total Workstation XL Bundle' bundle, but just SampleTron. While it's unclear what happened here, as we have many different sellers on Amazon. Do note, you now should have even more sounds then expected including Miroslav Philharmonik, SampleMoog, and Sonik Synth 2. Make sure to check out all of these sounds. All of these will be able to be imported into SampleTank 3.

*The tutorial video series below for SampleTank 3 will help you walk through some very important features in SampleTank 3. If you have yet to check this out, be sure to check this out if you have any troubles getting started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXSeNk_x-iw
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby arlingtonhynes » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:14 pm

Hi Ryan,

I'm happy to have gotten the bundle: If SampleTron is good, SampleTron plus other stuff must at minimum be equally good, and quite possibly better (in particular, I've wanted quality orchestral samples). I do understand that IK can't be responsible for the actions of third party sellers who happen to carry IK products. I mentioned the bundle thing only on the off chance that the information might be somehow relevant to resolving any issues.

I did hear from support. I'll do as they suggest and watch the videos.

Thanks very much for getting in touch.
arlingtonhynes

Postby DarkStar » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:27 pm

SampleTron: attack or release
In SampleTron, click on the ENV 1 button and they will be displayed. Check out 6.6 in the SampleTron User Manual.

Image >>> https://i.imgur.com/fUm2P3P.png

In SampleTank 3, it is ENVELOPE 1 on the EDIT page.

----------------
Curious: was that purchase direct from Amazon or a third-party merchant?
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby arlingtonhynes » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:36 pm

Hi DarkStar,

Thanks. SampleTron can't be used as a plugin, though, and it's not clear whether it supports MIDI as a standalone application (not that I plan use it for live performance anyway). I suppose I mentioned the ADSR thing only because for some reason I'm still amazed that usability in music software is still stuck in the 1990s, and that customers continue to tolerate it. It's a shock moving from GarageBand to more "respectable" products. I'm not an Apple guy, but they really got that one right.

I bought the bundle from a third party Amazon seller called SoftwareDreamer. As I said above, I don't mind receiving additional software.
arlingtonhynes

Postby Ryan_IK » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:33 pm

arlingtonhynes wrote:Hi DarkStar,

Thanks. SampleTron can't be used as a plugin, though, and it's not clear whether it supports MIDI as a standalone application (not that I plan use it for live performance anyway). I suppose I mentioned the ADSR thing only because for some reason I'm still amazed that usability in music software is still stuck in the 1990s, and that customers continue to tolerate it. It's a shock moving from GarageBand to more "respectable" products. I'm not an Apple guy, but they really got that one right.

I bought the bundle from a third party Amazon seller called SoftwareDreamer. As I said above, I don't mind receiving additional software.

Hey arlingtonhynes,

To clarify. SampleTron will support MIDI when used as a stand-alone application. This will also work as a plug-in in compatible DAWs. Do note however,this will only be available in a 32-bit format however. Unfortunately, as technology advances, companies like Apple are moving forward to a 64-bit only transition. Do not worry, the SampleTank 3 CS software should help get you through this transition using your sounds.

Now, as your still having troubles here and it sounds like our support team may be able to help you with this. Please be sure to follow up with your support ticket.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More