Sample Tank 4 Sound Backup

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Sample Tank 4 Sound Backup

Postby ricktairamusic » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:32 pm

I run Sample Tank 4 on both Mac & PC. As suggested when downloading the content I backed up the sounds to a secondary drive. On the Mac the folder contained 43 dmg files totaling 95.9GB. I assumed that my PC would have similar totals but my PC ended up having 43 zipped files totaling 87.8GB. I checked both folders to make sure I didn't miss anything. My question is why the 8GB difference between Mac & PC? Is it because the files are compressed at a higher rate? In the end it doesn't matter if the content is the same however it would be nice to understand? Any thoughts or comments would greatly be appreciated... :?:
ricktairamusic

Re: Sample Tank 4 Sound Backup

Postby DarkStar » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:17 pm

I would guess that it is the difference in compression methods / effectiveness.

Technical Support could confirm that and reassure you.

If you have a good understanding of the ST4 download files and the installed library then you could just back up the complete installed library instead. And, I think that the installed library on Mac and PC is the same. You might need to check that the back-up disk uses a file system format that can be read by both.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More